Could it really be this simple? (13 Jan, 2022)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Could it really be this simple? (13 Jan, 2022)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:08 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2022/0113.shtml

Surely the ravages of time and age can't be mitigated by something as simple as a bit of regular exercise?

Perhaps not in all cases but it does increasingly appear as if "healthy body" = "healthy mind", at least from a physiological perspective.

Should we be placing more emphasis on exercise as we get older, even if only as a method of staving off things such as Alzheimer's and other neuro-degenerative conditions that become far more common in old-age?

Perhaps I'm just the one in a million who managed to get everything right just in time -- but perhaps not.

I'd love to hear from others about how they're compensating for the effects of the aging process so as to maintain a decent quality of life as the oddometer of life ticks away.

Please share.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Could it really be this simple? (13 Jan, 2022)

Postby Perry » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:02 am

I do like that little Freudian slip . . .
Bruce wrote:. . . as the oddometer of life ticks away.

Well said! :twisted:
Perry

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:04 am

The family curse of T2 Diabetes hit me just over a year ago. Dr recommended drugs, but after some quick research I switched to a 'lazy' keto diet, increased the exercise, and dropped 15kg. Result after 6 months: blood sugars in normal range. Lazy keto is now supplemented by the occasional carbs: toast instead of eggs for some breakfasts, and fish&chips on rare events. Dropping carbs & sugars, switching to protein & fats was a real eye-opener for me.

Processed food/sugar/excess carbs seems to be the biggest impact on our general population health. But as long as a few Food Industry execs are getting VERY rich it must be ok, right?
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby namartinnz » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:19 am

I recently started watching Sten Ekberg on youtube, a holistic doctor whom goes into great but understandable detail on how we react to foods. A real eye opener. So I've cut down way on the carbs (not Keto yet) eg replaced breads with Keto friendly home made recipe, as well as making my own greek yoghurt. I also try to excercise every day walks, running but mainly now weights at home. I can/could be defined as "skinny fat". The weight is coming off but more importantly my waist line is also dropping as well as I'm gaining strength.

I no longer have food cravings, feeling satiated after a good meal. What a difference!
namartinnz

Postby roygbiv » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:50 am

Quite early on in my twenties I observed that 'old' people sit around more and don't get out as much, talking about what they used to do and everything was better in the old days. I made a conscious effort never to be like that - the main one being always be active. Now I am an 'old' person and carried on with that effort I like to think my quality of life is as good as or better than people of equivilent age.
Diet has been important too, a family member has been diagnosed borderline diabetic, so everything with sugar in is no longer bought, the result less borderline and significant weight loss. Also, in 2015 I bought one of those Fitbit things - in order to maintain over 10,000 steps a day, it is easy when averaging over a week but to do it EVERY day is more challenging as my job involves me sitting on my fat chuff in an office every day.
Looking back I think that keeping healthy in 30s and 40s will dictate the quality of life you have later in life, it is a rule of thumb, there are always exceptions of course.
roygbiv

Postby Perry » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:41 am

I agree with the concept but my question to the less carbs & sugar people:
how do you manage fibre intake and avoid constipation?
Perry

Return to Today's column