If I didn't have bad luck... (30 Jun, 2014)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: If I didn't have bad luck... (30 Jun, 2014)

Postby Malcolm » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:48 am

hagfish wrote:It may be that your local DSLAM is only ADSL2, and the nearest VDSL one is 4Km away (guessing).

Also, you probably can use your own DNS settings, but you may have to Telnet into the modem like it's 1980. I shit you not.

Just find the exact model of the router and get the default firmware from the manufacturer and flash that on to the router. You will void any Telecom warratny but you should at least gain control over your own network.
Malcolm

Postby goosemoose » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:53 am

Ha! We get this all the time :

Telecom Sales: Do you want to install broadband?
Us: We can't get it here, never have never will.
Telecom Sales: Yes you can, we done "something".
Us: OK.
Telecom Sales: Good we'll get you installed

Later on a call from the local Chorus bloke, whom we all know:
Chorus Bloke: Goosey, Chorus bloke here. Telecom been on to you again. F**Ken idiots. You ain't getting broadband. I ain't coming out your way for nothing. Nothings changed in years.
Me: Thought so. Whats new.
Chorus Bloke: Blah blah blah
Me: Blah blah blah

If nothing else the Telecom sales people could be termed optimistic. I' prefer another term.
goosemoose

Postby joeseph » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:07 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:Are their records and testing systems really so screwed up that suddenly I'd gone from "the best figures they'd seen" to "not going to work"?

what records are you speaking of? :lol:
joeseph

Postby pctek » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:16 pm

So it looks like all Telecom do is check to see if your phone is attached to a VSDL enabled cabinet. They don't do any line length checks to see how far you are from the cabinet. I believe Chorus have a policy of 900m to 1000m max from the cabinet. I am approximately 3km-4km from the cabinet.

Because you get the call centre people, Telecom don't have techs there, that's Chorus dept.
So really it's better to check with the techs.
pctek

Postby hellonearthis » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:26 pm

Stevesub wrote:We are lucky to get that speed as we are 200m from the cabinet

You should get that looked at there is something really wrong with that connection.

Wasn't Tokoroa one of the 1st places to get fiber, why not get that Bruce?
hellonearthis

Postby Stevesub » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:03 pm

hellonearthis wrote:
Stevesub wrote:We are lucky to get that speed as we are 200m from the cabinet

You should get that looked at there is something really wrong with that connection.

Wasn't Tokoroa one of the 1st places to get fiber, why not get that Bruce?

For ADSL1, the speeds we are getting are nearly the theoretical speeds so there is no problem. We get 7Mbps download and 300Kbps upload on a good day and it is all downhill from there evenings, weekends and school holidays. The actual line speed by the modem is 8Mbps and 380kbps which is near enogh to the theoretical maximum for ADSL1.

Our problem is that in OZ, Telstra only installed ADSL1 in our area and have not upgraded to ADSL2+, VDSL2, etc which is what Telecom NZ have done - cheapskates and rip of merchants is what Telstra is. We pay $A90 per month for 200GB of crap broadband service plus phone and local calls are 50c per call. FTTH is only a pipe dream. There is no one else we can go to as only Telstra have gear in our area.

Video streaming forget it, download the videos instead unless you want to spend time looking at a frozen picture while it downloads more video. VOIP, can be OK on a good day, crap the rest of the time.

The good news is that last week, it was annouinced that we would have the "Brand New just out this year technology" VDSL in 12 months time. The rest of the world has had it for at least 5 years now.

So Bruce, you are lucky to have the service you have.
Stevesub

Postby NordieBoy » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:16 pm

The Chorus tech said they don't even try for VDSL if it's over 900m.
We're at 875m :)
NordieBoy

Postby Wombus » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:28 pm

I've had the failed install. Everything points to me being able to get VDSL, I'm so close to the cabinet I can almost see it from my window.. chorus Tech says my copper line is split (Tee'd off) and cabling has been done on the cheap,.. And I'm in an established built up area of Hamilton. I've had Telecom cold calling trying to sell me VDSL and sounding very surprised when I tell them I can't have it. Why don't Chorus record this in their database so that their availability checker is more use full?
Wombus

Postby RuralGeek » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:19 am

Have you been in touch with NetSmart?
http://www.netsmart.co.nz/residential/i ... e=coverage
http://blog.netsmart.co.nz/?p=296

I have heard good things from them from folks over in eastern BoP and they have certainly spread themselves far and wide since then - hopefully they can hook you up with some decent bandwidth.
RuralGeek

Previous

Return to Today's column