SkyTV still dreaming (3 Jul, 2014)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

SkyTV still dreaming (3 Jul, 2014)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:44 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2014/0703.shtml

Are there really any scifi fans who haven't already discovered the wonderful world of online video -- where they can get access to all the latest and greatest TV series and movies for a pittance (Netflix) or for free (XBMC)?

Is Sky's offering simply "too little FAR too late"?

Would you buy Sky's service just for access to their proposed scifi/fantasy/horror channel?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: SkyTV still dreaming (3 Jul, 2014)

Postby latewings » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:17 am

Answers In order.

I doubt it.

Absolutely. The Sky is already falling. If I had shares in the company I'd be selling them asap.

Sky is a complete waste of time, money and technology. Optus D1 will not last as long as the SCC and it's upcoming partner. I'll xbmc for the things I want to watch thank you very much.
latewings

Postby Hiro Protagonist » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:18 am

aardvark_admin wrote:Are there really any scifi fans who haven't already discovered the wonderful world of online video -- where they can get access to all the latest and greatest TV series and movies for a pittance (Netflix) or for free (XBMC)?

Saying "for free (XBMC)" is a bit misleading, there are lots of legal ways to use XBMC. There are various add-ons that give you access to less legal content.

But yeah, when sky provide a way to watch what I want, when I want, without ads - then they might have something I'd consider paying for.

BTW, the SciFi channel in the US used to be great, but then they "rebranded", called it Syfy, and it's been shite ever since.
Hiro Protagonist

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:20 am

Hiro Protagonist wrote:Saying "for free (XBMC)" is a bit misleading, there are lots of legal ways to use XBMC. There are various add-ons that give you access to less legal content.

Yeah I know, I spend more time watching YouTube vids than anything else through my Pi and XBMC.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby pctek » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:12 am

I am happy about it although I suspect it will be 90% crap...Firefly, are you kidding? Cowboys in space....

Which is why I read more I guess.

But I am quite happy with Sky, I watch very little fiction but will be looking at that channel. I have no desire to watch stuff on my PC.
pctek

Postby enerider » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:49 am

Popcorn time!

...which is the actual name of a program :D

Not sure where it falls in the legal side of things however - but the interface and operation is very slick.
enerider

Postby paulw » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:34 pm

Firefly is currently show on Maori TV. For other SiFi TV channel Usenet is the way to go..

Sky is way too late and I bet it will be in Low Definition (LD) as they try to squeeze more on the the already crowded satellite space..
paulw

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:37 pm

I'm increasingly impressed with the quality of video content delivered by my RP, especially the HD stuff. *WAY* better than Sky's overcompressed, artifact-filled crappy broadcasts. Quite often I have to look to see if the DVD player is actually on if I enter the room and the wife's watching something on the TV because the streamed stuff is often better than a DVD in terms of picture quality (even the 720p stuff).
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Kiwiiano » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:18 pm

Hiro Protagonist wrote:But yeah, when sky provide a way to watch what I want, when I want, without ads - then they might have something I'd consider paying for.

It was the ads that inspired me to dump Sky back in the day (although we still pay for Igloo). I wouldn't mind too much if they were revenue gathering ads for products and services, that lowered my monthly fee in theory, but when they were just effin station promos, repeated over and over, I gave up.
Mind you, if I get to be Prime Minister one of my first moves will be to ban the showing of any one ad more than once per evening. Variations to similar ads maybe, preferably with an element of surprise. I won't mind being put out in a black bag, although it would have to be in a wheelie bin in ChCh. The question would be red rubbish or green composting?
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm not a total idiot. Parts of me are missing!”
Kiwiiano

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:57 am

You know, I just realised, it's been *years* since I saw a TV advertisement. Ah... sometimes life *is* good :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Return to Today's column