Political Friday

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: Political Friday

Postby Kiwiiano » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:47 pm

"His proposed testing activities may represent a risk to the ability of model jet operators to control and command their aircraft, which are relatively heavy and travel at high speed... the testing could represent a serious risk to public safety"

Surely that only applies if model jet operators are operating on the airfield at the times you are testing? No operators, no threat to public safety.
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm not a total idiot. Parts of me are missing!”
Kiwiiano

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:57 pm

You'd think so wouldn't you -- however, I am forbidden to do testing because, according to the SWDC, RC models could be flying at any time at the airfield during daylight hours.

When a business of 10 years standing in a district gets treated like this because a group of RC fliers "might" be using the airfield at any time of any day -- you *know* that someone's abusing their power.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Screw » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:28 am

Well Bruce you have several choices:

1/ Do nothing and wait for the grumpy old men to die off.

2/ Fly your gear and damn the torpedoes.

3/ Take a case to Court.

This has gone past negotiation now and needs to be brought to a head. The only way it can be resolved is a Court Directive. So, make them take you to Court, that way they are paying for the case not you. Remember it is illegal for the CAA to allow a monopoly on their services. So you are quite within your rights to set up an alternative which the CAA MUST accredit!
Screw

Postby aardvark_admin » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:35 am

And who's going to pay for this legal action?

Sadly... I have no money to engage in such action -- having had my income decimated by the actions of MFNZ, the SWDC and CAA.

Unless some friendly lawyer wants to take the case on because it's a just cause, I'm thinking that legal action, although perhaps the only option, is not a viable one.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Screw » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:16 pm

That's why I have been saying that you get them to take you to Court. That way they pay for the case. All you have to do is plead your own case, something I know you are able to do. The way is to back them into a corner so they have to prosecute, then you've got 'em.

Otherwise nothing will change and you'll be broker than you are now.
Screw

Postby Kiwiiano » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:51 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:You'd think so wouldn't you -- however, I am forbidden to do testing because, according to the SWDC, RC models could be flying at any time at the airfield during daylight hours.

1) How do they know you are testing?

2) Can anyone else actually fly for you while you hide in the shed with radio coms to the pilot? Or do you need to see what is happening? Could that be achieved with cameras etc. The more bizarre their attempts to block development of safety equipment, the more idiotic they are going to appear.

Did the Herald article awaken any dragons?
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm not a total idiot. Parts of me are missing!”
Kiwiiano

Postby Geoffm » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:21 pm

I second the OIA request. Use the law..
You need to frame the request to be both specific and general - don't let them not send emails as you only asked for letters or written documentation. It must also be narrow enough that they can refuse it as unreasonable as it is to wide, to much work and a fishing expedition. This should be straightforward as you are looking for anything to do with remote control systems for RC planes and the danger form 2.4 MHSZ and tokaroa airport.
If they don't send it to you, then you can say they have no evidence, if they produce it later, the Ombudsman should take an interest as they have been hiding it.
Do the OIA first, as then you know what you are against,a dn can provide the ammo to your MP, newspapers, etc. Make it easy for your helpers by handing them the bullets already aimed and loaded...
G
Geoffm

Postby aardvark_admin » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:57 am

Kiwiiano wrote:1) How do they know you are testing?

They know I intended to test because, as a courtesy and in order to ensure safety I advised the RC fliers that the antennas that would be going up on my workshop would be for the SAA testing and that although it was on 2.4GHz, the output would be very low and unlikely to cause them any issues *so long* as they were following their own organisations safety rules with regards to performing range-tests before the first flight of the day and were using approved euquipment installed in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations.

Their response to that was to call the police and claim that I was going to shoot them down - honestly!

When the police told them to stop wasting police time, they complained to the SWDC and CAA who have acted without obtaining any independent technical advice and in a way that effectively stops me going about my lawful business activities and activities that are included in the terms of the lease for which I pay the SWDC $1K a year.

2) Can anyone else actually fly for you while you hide in the shed with radio coms to the pilot? Or do you need to see what is happening? Could that be achieved with cameras etc. The more bizarre their attempts to block development of safety equipment, the more idiotic they are going to appear.

Not without compromising the rights of whoever flew the model because CAA has deemed this activity to be "commercial" and therefore any flying would require obtaining a "Commercial Operating Authority" which CAA has made very clear to me (even after the involvement of the Minister on two occasions), they're just not going to issue to me. So, anyone who did help me and was caught doing so would risk prosecution -- and trust me, they'd throw the book at them just to make my life a misery. I'm not going to expose any of my friends to such a potential prosecution and cost -- and why the hell should I have to?

This situation is outrageous and it is now patently clear that:

1. CAA has become a sock-puppet for the executive of MFNZ in respect to myself and my activities.
2. The SWDC has actively moved to restrict the lawful and 100% safe business activities of myself

Did the Herald article awaken any dragons?

Well I did a video to highlight the lunacy of this situation and the obvious abuse of power that's going on here and as of Sunday morning it has received over 4,000 views and almost 200 comments, most condemning the abuse they see here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syOcrncWTQE

A number of people (including myself) have asked the South Waikato District Council when they will be implementing a ban on smartphones and all other wifi-based equipment at and in the vicinity of the airfield (based on the clear and obvious risks that these far more powerful sources of interference pose to public safety when RC jets are flying) -- but as expected, no response.

In fact historically, the SWDC's response to anything that seems them caught with their pants down is to simply bolt the doors, close the windows and pretend the issue doesn't exist.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Jimmy » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:58 pm

Another thought - have you thought of approaching the media (say Campbell Live)?

This sounds like something that they would likely consider doing a story on. If the CAA/SWDC really have nothing to back their position up, it could be quite an interesting item.
Jimmy

Postby aardvark_admin » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:51 pm

The SWDC simply ignore the effects of media coverage. When the SWDC shut down the local RC model club, Campbell Live came down and did a piece -- but it changed nothing. The SWDC believe they are Gods and need not be answerable to anyone. The concept of "public service" is lost on the bureaucrats in these organisations -- they have been gifted power that they would never have gotten by any other means and they'll use it for whatever ends they see fit, without answering to anyone.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Today's column