Political Friday

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: Political Friday

Postby aardvark_admin » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:56 pm

Just as a matter of interest, there were two events at the airfield today - one at the neighbouring gokart club and one at the motocross track at the end of the runway.

Using my spectrum analyzer and a directional antenna, I measured the field-strength of the emissions from those two events in the location from where the RC jets are flown. The strength of the signals received there was around five times that which would have been received in the same place from the transmissions associated with my testing.

Likewise, I measured the level of emissions on 2.4GHz coming from the street which runs parallel to the runway and that (coming mainly from wifi systems and at least one microwave oven) was also several times greater than the strength of the transmissions I was intending to use.

Clearly, the flying of *all* heavy, fast RC models at the Tokoroa airfield must be halted immediately if there are levels of RF noise five times greater than that which the CAA has clearly stated pose an unacceptable risk to the ability of RC fliers to control their models at that location.

Having seen this, I strongly doubt that the insurers who provide the MFNZ insurance, on which these pilots rely for indemnity in the event of an accident, would honour any claims for damage resulting from the flying of those models at this location and one of the SWDC's stated requirements for flying models at the airfield is that everyone must have insurance cover.

Will the SWDC enforce it's rules in this case?

Of course they won't.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Kiwiiano » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:32 pm

How long to the next elections?

Even a spirited poster campaign pointing out the poor performance of certain councillors could rattle a few dags, without needed anyone new to waste time standing on a single issue. Would any opposing candidates appreciate some ammo? Although I'll concede that if they don't get in, you may HAVE to move to pastures new.
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm not a total idiot. Parts of me are missing!”
Kiwiiano

Postby aardvark_admin » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:02 pm

The new councilors that were elected in the last elections appear to have very carefully been sidetracked on to very low-value committees, dealing with trifling matters of little real importance. This is one way that the "old guard" can keep the "new guard" under control. If you're not on the right committees then you have very little control over what goes on.

Also remember that most councillors are beholding to the bureaucrats to provide them with information -- which is obviously filtered and adjusted to suit the agendas of those bureaucrats.

I gather that most of the new councilors were briefed that I was just a trouble-maker and not to be listened to by the old-guard and the bureaucrats.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Today's column