Don't run with scissors - replay (9 Jul, 2014)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Don't run with scissors - replay (9 Jul, 2014)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:07 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2014/0709.shtml

Chemistry sets -- the ultimate danger?

Is our obsession with removing risk from our daily lives really doing us any good?

Is exposure to risk an important factor in developing a balanced outlook on life?

How will will we ever continue to evolve if we remove the effects of stupidity from the equation?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Don't run with scissors - replay (9 Jul, 2014)

Postby Stevesub » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:36 am

That is why so many youngies have an obession with Bali, no rules comparted with here, do what you like within reason, just don't kill anyone or get caught with drugs.
Stevesub

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:54 am

Maybe it also explains why Australia and NZ have the highest rates of dope use in the world. I think some reports claim that around 14% of the population use this drug regularly whilst the average in the rest of the developed world is around 3%. Maybe we're now just so mellowed by the elimination of risk that we have to get our buzz from mind-altering substances instead.

It also explains why our "she'll be right.." attitude is wrecking the country.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby latewings » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:37 am

I stopped skydiving after 200 jumps (went to the UK, didn't have the baggage allowance to take my gear - five years later on return I did one jump and hung up the chute). Percieved danger high. Actual danger (statistically shown). Very low.

I fly single engine GA aircraft, ride a 600cc motorcycle, and most dangerously of all - have a wife. By all accounts I am a high risk individual. I disagree.

A few years ago (when I had time) I was a CubScout leader. New kids on camp would be hesitant of sleeping outside in a tent, going on a flying fox with a rope seat and heaven forbid go on a Burma trail walk at night. However by the end of the weekend they'd be oblivious to any (perceived) danger and be climbing a tree without any second thought. It was great to see them challenge themselves and enjoy it.

Swanson Primary school made the headlines a few months ago when they relaxed the rules on lunchtime activities. What annoyed me most was it wasn't just local news attention but also international interest in the story as well. When it's mainstream media "breaking news" that children are allowed to play Bullrush then we have serious problems ahead. Daring Do: NASA wouldn't have made it to the moon otherwise.

I do believe OSH regulations have overstepped the mark. People will always suffer accidents even when all considered risks have been reduced. To litigate after a worker was overcome because the company didn't think to add a triple plastic widget to the tungsten forged flangdoodle holding the toilet seat down is just stupid. Yet we allow these shallow morons to create more rules governing how we put on our socks in the morning.

Sigh.
latewings

Postby Screw » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:00 pm

Isn't it fascinating that today, after nearly forty years of deregulation, we have so many more regulations controlling our lives.
Screw

Postby goosemoose » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:52 pm

A few years when I was coaching my sons rugby team, in order for them to learn to tackle I thought I'd introduce them to bullrush. Figured I have to explain it all to them but, no they all knew how to play. Should have asked where they'd learned to play as their schools never allowed that sort of stuff. They all loved it. Subversive little f**ks!!
goosemoose

Let Nature Take Its Course

Postby Perry » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:29 pm

Would this work?

Perry

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:54 am

LOL... I love it. Politicians and bureaucrats would likely be the first to go :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Return to Today's column