Goodbye reliable landline (10 Jul, 2014)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Goodbye reliable landline (10 Jul, 2014)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:28 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2014/0710.shtml

As we become increasingly reliant on a solid, reliable supply of mains power, the effects of a protracted outage become more significant.

Even the good old, dependable land-line telephone connection will soon be reliant on the power that feeds your house.

What contingency measures (if any) do you have in place to mitigate the effects of a power outage lasting more than a day or so?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Goodbye reliable landline (10 Jul, 2014)

Postby Screw » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:33 am

I recall as a wee sprog, the old phones with their own batteries. Those huge 1.5v dry cells kept in the base. And when you wanted to make a call, you wound a crank on the side which generated a voltage that rang the bells on the other end. All the numbers had Morse Code to identify each sub. on the line. Good ole daze!

Cordless phones are convenient but a pain in the anus. Still have a pulse dial phone in the cupboard.
Screw

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:34 am

Screw, you must be *very* old :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby hagfish » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:57 am

At present, it's possible to send short messages via GPS, provided you have an appropriate device and subscription. At present they are limited to pre-determined messages, and are too expensive just to have one in the kitchen drawer, but once/if this technology becomes available to send SMS-like messages from any GPS-enabled phone - cheaply - it could be a good way of keeping in touch.
hagfish

Postby nutbugs » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:18 am

I have a small case conatining an SLA battery, solar panel and some USB and 12volt ports for charging the mobile devices - intended for when camping or going bush but works just as well at home! :) Also have a solar panel at home running some 12volt stuff including a small (and probably inefficient!) inverter that runs the modem and wifi router. This keeps the voip phone line and internet up as long as the connection stays live.
nutbugs

Postby mad » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:18 am

hagfish wrote:At present, it's possible to send short messages via GPS, provided you have an appropriate device and subscription. At present they are limited to pre-determined messages, and are too expensive just to have one in the kitchen drawer, but once/if this technology becomes available to send SMS-like messages from any GPS-enabled phone - cheaply - it could be a good way of keeping in touch.

Not quite, the GPS satellites are one way only (and only send out time signals) , the devices you linked to use another commercial sat operator ( in the case of SPOT it uses Globalstar) to relay the message back,

Global star, is a commerical sat phone operator, just like Iridium and Thuraya. The cost of a satellite based SMS service is always going to be orders of magnitude more than a terristrial one...
mad

Postby Screw » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:48 am

aardvark_admin wrote:Screw, you must be *very* old :-)

Nope just grewed up in the boonies!
Screw

Postby paulw » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:34 pm

I wonder how many people will bother with UPS when fiber goes in and their landline is VOIP?? Not all that many I suspect and only the tech savy will remember to check the UPS batteries every 6 ~ 12 months. At home I have a couple of spare basic flip fones fully charged up just in case though I suspect that my olde Motorola Startac sitting in a draw will not be much good no mater how long it's charged.. . Still waiting for fiber..
paulw

Postby goosemoose » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:08 pm

Bought me one of those flash clean power generators. I work from home a bit so I really need to be online. Internet is solar powered 3G so unless the cell tower goes down I'm OK. Also have the old style wired phone for backup. Wetback and fire see to the cooking and hot water. Could live OK without power here.
goosemoose

Postby Perry » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:48 pm

Smoke signals?

A home generator. As in a decent one,
up around 8kva, not the wee toys sold
with lots of hype, that couldn't even
boil a kettle.

I have a dove in training. Anyone
know if they can double as one of
them carrier pigeons?
Perry

Next

Return to Today's column