Goodbye reliable landline (10 Jul, 2014)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: Goodbye reliable landline (10 Jul, 2014)

Postby Kiwiiano » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:14 pm

Perry wrote:Smoke signals?

A home generator. As in a decent one,
up around 8kva, not the wee toys sold
with lots of hype, that couldn't even
boil a kettle.

I sell generators, or more correctly try to talk people out of buying generators at least until they have carefully analysed their need for one. They are demanding, finicky bitches that are very likely to fail just when you need them most. They must be test run regularly and refuelled frequently unless you can track down the stabiliser needed to stop the petrol going mankey. They have limited duty cycles so can't be run 24/7 even if you could store that much fuel. Don't forget that when there's a major blackout, the odds favour the local petrol station being unable to pump anything.
Definitely forget keeping one at the back of the garage on the off-chance you may need to whip it out to keep the TV, video games, frig-freezer and all the house lights going in times of high stress.

It's good advice to have an emergency kit of robust LED torches, quality radio, spare batteries with solar backup, small gas cooker with spare gas cans and whatever you need to keep at least one cellphone functional. And a good medical kit of course, plus some water tanks....... All the usual stuff we manage to avoid organising until the lights do go out.
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm not a total idiot. Parts of me are missing!”
Kiwiiano

Postby Perry » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:52 pm

Kiwiiano wrote:I sell generators, or more correctly try to talk people out of buying generators at least
until they have carefully analysed their need for one. They are demanding, finicky bitches
that are very likely to fail just when you need them most.

My dad has one. I tell him to run it at least 4 times a year.

Do you promote 4 pole over 2-pole? (Most of the cheap ones seem to be 2 pole)
Perry

Postby Screw » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:25 pm

goosemoose wrote:Bought me one of those flash clean power generators. I work from home a bit so I really need to be online. Internet is solar powered 3G so unless the cell tower goes down I'm OK. Also have the old style wired phone for backup. Wetback and fire see to the cooking and hot water. Could live OK without power here.

Then do it Goosey, you know you want to! :lol:
Screw

Postby DigiDog » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:28 pm

Bruce wrote:Of course this isn't really the problem we might think because each and every one of us also has a mobile phone that operates through the cellular network. Phew!

Not quite! I live in a rural area with no cellphone coverage so I ditched my Nokia a couple of years back. I do have an old analogue phone in the garage (somewhere) but when the power does fail (about twice a year) we just light candles and read books. If you think of it as an enforced period of solitude, it's actually quite pleasant.

We have a bunch of solar panels on the roof but when you're grid-tied, that system switches off as well. Oh for an off-grid system. ;-)
DigiDog

Postby Stevesub » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:11 pm

We have just had 2 days without power - but we have a small 200W inverter that was connected to the car, extension lead to the office so we kept the net and laptop going plus charging all devices. I ran the car a few times to charge the battery. This meant that I could keep on working. As we are travelling, this is all we have but it is simple, cheap and worked well until the net went down after neaqlry 40 hours - batteries in the exchange must have gone flat so it was onto the 3G net via the cellphone.

We got through a couple of books, watched crap movies on the laptop, used some candles, made a headlight torch by duct taping a small LED torch to a cap when the local shops (15km away) ran out of headlight torches. Our one in our camping gear had died.

Power is back on now but we are on the road for a few days.
Stevesub

Postby Jetboy » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:51 pm

I have a large 12v gell on float for immediate light and radio
If power is off for more than 1/2 hr I use a 2kW inverter generator one of the very quiet very expensive jobs. It feeds an inlet plug which has a manual changeover switch on the switchboard but doesnt include the hot water cylinder circuit. This is important because the 2kW can handle moderate loads including the fridge if they are not all used together - the main point being its so much better all the lights and things work without having to run extension leads everywhere. The generator is run in a convenient spot away from the house it can barely be heard running. Few years back power was out for 23 hrs things ran as normal.

Kiwiiano is spot on - these things need regular runs otherwise they are hard to start, wont start, or cut out after a few mins. I've had about 5 or 6 gensets and its happened to all of them! If I did it again, it would be electric start, possibly LPG powered too. Or I should just buy a used Prius? Put an inverter in it and you have an automatic mobile substation. Honestly, for most folks its not worth doing this much for the occasional glitch in power. last week warehouse had 800 Watt toy inverter generators for $280 seemed a worthwhile thing to have in the shed.
Jetboy

Postby Perry » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:59 pm

5 or 6 gensets? Wowo.

What sort of circumstances motivated that?
Perry

Postby Anaru » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:32 am

Jetboy wrote:It feeds an inlet plug which has a manual changeover switch on the switchboard but doesnt include the hot water cylinder circuit.

What was involved with this? I presume that an electrician had to do it - any idea on cost?

You'd think that it would be a requirement that every household had this type of setup so that if and when necessary a generator could be hooked up, at least then there would be the option to remain somewhat "off the grid" even in urban areas and obviously the advantages in an emergency. Even more so for people that have medical equipment that they depend on.
Anaru

Postby goosemoose » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:00 am

Screw wrote:
goosemoose wrote:Bought me one of those flash clean power generators. I work from home a bit so I really need to be online. Internet is solar powered 3G so unless the cell tower goes down I'm OK. Also have the old style wired phone for backup. Wetback and fire see to the cooking and hot water. Could live OK without power here.

Then do it Goosey, you know you want to! :lol:

Obviously Screw "I" could live with out power after all I don't have a hair dryer etc to run. Not to sure about the other half!!!
goosemoose

Postby pctek » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:40 am

And for most of history. people didn't have any kind of phone at all.
So the power goes out for a while, and?
pctek

PreviousNext

Return to Today's column