Goodbye reliable landline (10 Jul, 2014)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: Goodbye reliable landline (10 Jul, 2014)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:51 am

pctek wrote:And for most of history. people didn't have any kind of phone at all.

OMG! How did they update their Facebook page? :lol:
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Jetboy » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:57 am

Anaru wrote:
Jetboy wrote:It feeds an inlet plug which has a manual changeover switch on the switchboard but doesnt include the hot water cylinder circuit.

What was involved with this? I presume that an electrician had to do it - any idea on cost?

You'd think that it would be a requirement that every household had this type of setup so that if and when necessary a generator could be hooked up, at least then there would be the option to remain somewhat "off the grid" even in urban areas and obviously the advantages in an emergency. Even more so for people that have medical equipment that they depend on.

I previously had 5 or 6 generators - not at the same time - kept on trading up to get reliability. I have a 350W 2 stroke and 2kW 4 stroke now. they each have an isolated 12V batt charging outlet which is handy. In my experience the 2 strokes are more reliable both starting and stopping. Any motor that doesnt start first few pulls can be very difficult to get going with repeated attempts. Thats why I favour electric start you can adjust choke / etc while its trying. But if used infrequently, tradespeople often remove the electric starting because a flat battery is just dead weight and those guys have stronger arms

The installation of a manual changeover depends on the type of switchboard that currently exists. It is electrician work and involves either a changeover switch with center off position or a changeover switch and an isolate switch, they have to be rated for twice voltage (probably 600V). Whether you can have the water heating separate depends if the "main switch" is in fact the total controlling switch. On my board, built 50 years ago, it was normal to have nightstore and hot water loads on their own little switches, that power doesnt go through the "main switch"

the type of inlet plug used depends on how many kW is connected - they range from the 10A 3 pin unit which accepts an ordinary extension lead socked through to the bigger round pin type sets. All this stuff is at the local elect. wholesalers.

The sample wiring codes are in AS/NZS 3010:2005 there is also a spec on PV arrays AS/NZS 5033:2005 if you cant find these on the web an electrician should have them
Jetboy

Postby Pete » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:13 am

Reliable Landline Critical

P
Last edited by Pete on Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pete

Postby enerider » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:42 pm

1- UPS will keep the VoIP + firewall box running for a time. (I really need to get onto the "get an off-grid setup" thing, at least for the firewall and VoIP as a mini-project for starters).

We also have laptops to hand, so can have a short amount of comms available until the battery juice stops flowing.

Gas cooker if things get to "extended outage" status is there too, as well as a reasonably well stocked emergency kit.

We're using the fireplace for heating anyway this winter as the heatpump that came with the house serves more purpose as a wall decoration.
enerider

Postby ukoda » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:06 pm

I normally have the key networking stuff as well as the servers on a UPS so my VOIP will still work during a power failures, but I have found that with power failures being so rare that half the time the UPS would fail as the SLA batteries were abused by the UPS.

I have moved my servers/NASes to 12V set ups and longer term plan to replace the unreliable traditional 240V SLA based UPS with a 12V LiFePO4 based UPS solution.

I used to keep a POTS phone on hand but with naked DSL there is no point, just have to go for the complicated solution.
ukoda

Postby Perry » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:42 pm

ukoda wrote:I found that . . . half the time the UPS would fail as the SLA batteries were abused by the UPS.

Oh? Do tell? Generic? A particular brand?

I have one that holds up the modem; another UPS for the Internet Server.
I have yet to find out how long the UPS will keep the modem going, but
it has managed several hours, so far. About 20 mins is all I get from the
server UPS, but as that auto-re-boots on power restored, that's OK. The
modem wont auto-re-start, because of the EM power switch.
Perry

Previous

Return to Today's column