Are we on the edge of a cataclysm? (11 Jul, 2014)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: Are we on the edge of a cataclysm? (11 Jul, 2014)

Postby hagfish » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:13 pm

latewings wrote:Now however consider a good old fashioned war. Common enemy of a country, people band together. Good scrap, lots of death and destruction. Governments spend up large on the war machine. Hardship, austerity all round. Post war recovery, peace and prosperity reigns again with a new generation. That ain't going to happen again though, the appetite for war on a world level has gone.

That was in the good old days of nation states. These days it's boards of directors that say, 'jump', and elected governments that say, 'will $6 trillion do?'

aardvark_admin wrote:3. Economic: Invest in an indigenous EV industry here in NZ so that our surplus of electricity can be used to slow the outflow of money that currently buys fossil fuels from overseas.

As far as stemming the flow of off-shore cash goes, I spend waay more per week on interest on my mortgage than I do on fossil fuel - even taking into account transport costs of the goods I buy. I should probably go with KiwiBank or some kind of cooperative, but, meh.
hagfish

Postby Screw » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:41 pm

hagfish wrote: I should probably go with KiwiBank or some kind of cooperative, but, meh.

Therin is the problem. Too many others think the same way. We are creatures of habit and all too often get stuck in ruts.

Environmental issues: decentralise our industries and population. Get people out of Auckland and back into the regions. Electrify the railway system and focus on shifting commodity-based businesses to towns along that line -- this will take the pressure of Auckland and other large urban centres.

Noble ideal but isn't likely to happen Bruce. Too many vested interests in control.

The biggest problems with revolutions is, as you say, then end is often completely different to what the people wanted. A true revolution needs good leadership and a clearly focussed direction. Without that all that happens is more of the same just different people at the top.
Screw

Postby roygbiv » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:58 pm

Looks like we all had a very happy inspirational day then.
I just went to work, didn't even notice what the weather was like I was so busy.

If those 3 solutions are all thats needed to solve NZ problems then I am reassured that I made the right decision to emigrate here. As you can see the rest of the world does not seem a very happy place, and we have a great deal to be thankful for.
roygbiv

Previous

Return to Today's column