The banning of technology (15 Jul, 2014)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

The banning of technology (15 Jul, 2014)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:51 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2014/0715.shtml

Is the banning or restriction of emerging technologies such as 3D printing, drones, uncrackable encryption, etc really unavoidable?

Given the fact that the Net, and the free flow of information it allows, effectively sidesteps such bans and restrictions, will we see increased emphasis placed on surveillance or restrictions on its use in future?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: The banning of technology (15 Jul, 2014)

Postby retroman33366 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:40 am

I find it interesting the banning of things, from where I stand If I had a 3d printer and wanted to make most things it would be quicker to go down stairs and build it with the lathe, milling machine and drill press. It is what the hands of the uneducated can get up to that are truly frightning for instance http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hahn and http://www.dangerouslaboratories.org/radscout.html. With my set-up one has to work out how to make what you want not just download and print.

I blame the education system for shortcutting the learning process, in a effort to get results ie workers not thinkers. These workers there onlyexperence with thinking is it is up to the kid to work out what is right and wrong and what is right in your thinking is your reality.

The individual can be very smart but the masses can be the dumbest of things. Would it be better to "BAN" dumbness?
retroman33366

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:48 am

I think where the concern (of authorities) comes in is that using a lathe, mill, etc requires a degree of learning and skill that far surpasses that needed to plug in a 3D printer, download a file for your favourite plastic firearm and hit "print".
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Malcolm » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:52 am

There is also the cost issue. A good lathe or milling machine will set you back a huge amount more than a 3d printer. This restricts their availability more than anything else.
Malcolm

Postby goosemoose » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:02 am

It's the scaredy cat culture thats overtaken the (Western??) world. We're all supposed to scared of everything that we don't know about and this generally means anything technologically new or anything the lawmakers have a hard time legislating for. So the bureaucrats that dictate laws and policy, who themselves are very big scaredy cats who jump at the sight of their own shadows, have taken it upon themselves to save us from this stuff as they assume the scumbag population, like you and me, are even more stupid and scared than them.

The fact we can get all sorts of information from different and possibly dangerous places and cultures on the internet is exceedingly frightening to them. Unfortunately their rationale are the select breed of people who managed to just escape being suffocated or hurt by a giant fluffy teddy bear at some stage in their lives and now think they need this protection. The perennial "think of the children" argument.

It's also in their own interests too as they have a permanent make-work scheme running, never ending regulation. This is the only tool in their tool box. Scaredy cat regulation.
goosemoose

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:05 am

As if by magic(al coincidence), that oracle of objective reporting, the Daily Mail has just published this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... perts.html
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby retroman33366 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:07 am

Yes I admit cost and skill are barriers to using those tools. My Milling machine was a toss out from a engineering shop that had ended business and I inherited the lathe from estate. I would love to admit a small foundry would be cool but the heat and smell would drive the wife nuts! Last thing I made was a new hinge for a fridge the original had crumbled (metal fatigue) made a copy from a peace of scrap steel and all is good...
retroman33366

Postby latewings » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:18 am

It always comes back to money. A good 3D printer in the home is going to ruin a good many companies. Airfix is one that springs to mind. The toy companies will have dire Christmas sales if little Jack gets a usb stick with the latest nerf gun print file on it.

Tail light broken on the car, no probs, just scan and print a replacement. There goes several hundred dollars of after market parts profit.

The best way to control something is to make it appear sinister. "Oooh a 3D printer in the home could be used to make weaponry". Well strike me guv, but a bag of soil conditioner and a small amount of volatile liquid along with an ignition source and guess what you have, yet all the components are easily available to anyone.

It is the curse of the banal to see the worst in anything, not the best. It started in this country with some Upper Hutt meddler called Beverly Pentland, and we're getting more and more like her every day.

In years to come shops will be selling us Ghinsu knives made from plastic as we're too untrustworthy to have anything made from tempered steel.

I despair with the lunacy of regulatory bodies in the world. They're turning everyone into criminals.
latewings

Postby Screw » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:12 pm

We have more regulations governing our lives now than we ever had in the "Bad Ole Daze". Most of them curb our freedoms more and more.
Screw

Postby goosemoose » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:43 pm

latewings wrote:In years to come shops will be selling us Ghinsu knives made from plastic as we're too untrustworthy to have anything made from tempered steel.

OMG. THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!

I'm sure when the next child gets murdered they'd rather go quick and painlessly (relatively) stabbed to death with cold steel rather than having a lingering plastic death. Oh that's right, that won't happen again, they've passed a law against that. Phew.
goosemoose

Next

Return to Today's column