Fresh Pi for everyone (16 Jul, 2014)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Fresh Pi for everyone (16 Jul, 2014)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:29 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2014/0716.shtml

Do you have an RP on your bench, in a project or just tucked away in a drawer somewhere?

What are you using your RP for?

Will you be buying a B+ model for the extra I/O and convenience it offers?

And fess-up, how many of you might buy a B+ just to run XBMC? :shock:
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Fresh Pi for everyone (16 Jul, 2014)

Postby RuralGeek » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:17 am

I have 2 model B's.
One was running OctoPi to control a 3D printer - a great way to generate a timelapse of your 3d print jobs!
The other had a mixture of programs on it including XBMC, OwnCloud, BTSync... I forget what else.

They were originally purchased to be used as thin clients to a Microsoft Remote Desktop environment but the rdesktop application in conjunction with X windows is just too resource intesive for the BMC chip to be able to deliver the performance required by my customer.

I have since bought several add-ons including the wolfson audio card, piface digital and a coocox Arduino shield interface - have yet to put these to any constructive use!

Will I order a B+? Probably 2 or 3, the biggest draw back for me was having to lug around a usb hub in addition to the RPi so these improvements in the B+ will be very welcome.
RuralGeek

Postby latewings » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:58 am

Model B. Asterisk VOIP server.
latewings

Postby Hiro Protagonist » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:38 am

I have 4 Pi's.

One is configured as a server, with 2 HDD's & 3 DVB-T tuners. It runs TVHeadend giving me a Freeview PVR, also the get_iplayer web PVR effectively giving me a BBC PVR, acts as an NFS server plus runs squid & a few other services. I don't really need this to be a Pi, so I could replace it with another SBC if the ethernet via USB bandwidth becomes a problem.

I have 3 other Pi's acting as clients running XBMC connected to various TV's around the house. These ones just have a remote control & are connected via wired ethernet.
The most recent one I lashed up when I decided I needed a 3rd screen - a quick trip to the council recyling shop turned up a 16:9 monitor with audio & DVI inputs. Then I just needed to grab a DVI->HDMI converter plus cable, a PC remote via trademe & a bit of time in the garage fabricating a VESA mount adapter that I could bolt the Pi to and scrounging up a PSU & some cables. Result - smart TV for ~$100.

I'll probably get the B+ if I need another Pi, but don't have a pressing need to one just now.
Hiro Protagonist

Postby Logan Savage » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:33 pm

model b running xbmc. does fine
"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy"
(David C. Korten, When Corporations Rule the World)
Logan Savage

Postby roygbiv » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:33 pm

XBMC was my plan if I got an RP, glad to see someone has had the same idea and make it - good on you.
The other idea was to hook up a weather station and update a weather web site - anyone else tried.
roygbiv

Postby hellonearthis » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:23 am

I was disappointed that the B+ didn't get a ram upgrade to 1GB and most likely won't get one. 1GB would have made a lot of difference 512MB is too confining.
I have a B and rev 2 B running XBMC. 2017 is a date the Ben said in an interview for Pi 2 and that they will not be making any more changes to the Pi.
The foundation is too closed box thinking mainly at the educational aspects and not at what the hardware hackers would like.

Still there is hope for the Raspberry Pi Compute Module, if there was only a cheaper board to plug it into.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ge ... nav_search
hellonearthis

Postby Hiro Protagonist » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:49 pm

hellonearthis wrote:I was disappointed that the B+ didn't get a ram upgrade to 1GB and most likely won't get one. 1GB would have made a lot of difference 512MB is too confining.

Apparently the SoC used simply doesn't have another address pin available, so more memory is not an option with the current hardware.
Hiro Protagonist

Postby Malcolm » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:13 pm

I was hoping the next Pi would have updated the SoC for something based on a newer ARM spec. Even better if it could run all opensource drivers etc unlike the current broadcom one.
Malcolm

Postby hellonearthis » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:21 am

Hiro Protagonist wrote:
hellonearthis wrote:I was disappointed that the B+ didn't get a ram upgrade to 1GB and most likely won't get one. 1GB would have made a lot of difference 512MB is too confining.

Apparently the SoC used simply doesn't have another address pin available, so more memory is not an option with the current hardware.

Where did you find that? The ARMv6-M architecture uses a single, flat address space of 232 8-bit bytes, covering 4GB.
The BCM2835 can address 3221225471 bytes memory (3GB)
http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio ... herals.pdf

It's Broadcom not making a larger ram POP (Package on Package) for the SoC that is the limit.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/help/faqs/#performanceMemory

And with Broadcom selling off the mobile division (the area that has all the pi developers) I don't see them spending a cent on building obsolete memory.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06/03 ... modem_biz/ (Raspberry Pi foundation might score it if Broadcom Ditch it, which could be good)

I'm going to save up for a Banana Pi as the Raspberry Pi has become more of a educational tool and not something that can really do the processing needed today.
http://www.dx.com/p/a20-banana-pi-devel ... lue-330166 It has SATA, Dual core, 1GB Ram, 10/100/1000 Ethernet
Other competitive boards are HummingBoard, Odroid-U3, Udoo and the radxa
hellonearthis

Next

Return to Today's column