Music war looms (7 Sep, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Music war looms (7 Sep, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:56 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0907.shtml

Could Spotify remove the middle-man from the equation and thus offer artists and consumers a much better deal on music?

If that happened, would we see a "Music war" that would almost certainly drive up rates of piracy and copyright infringement?

And what idiot thought that removing The Beatles' recordings from YouTube was a good idea -- either from a revenue or marketing perspective?

I think I'll get my 32GB USB drive loaded up with all my favourite tracks in anticipation of more stupidity from the record labels.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Music war looms (7 Sep, 2018)

Postby retroman33366 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:27 am

When all said and done it is the artiest that will suffer. The corporates will make a living of there back and as all corporates do as they loose income they will bill the artiest for there losses (perceived and real). Mean while the kiddy's will pay the least they can for there so-called music fix. The scalpers will rip the public at will and it has been seen on Main Stream Media, The artiest sees no extra profit.
retroman33366

Postby hagfish » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:32 am

Netflix has been hard at work for years, trying to turn into HBO, before HBO can turn into Netflix. They could spend $13 billion on new content this year. Most of it might be crap, but they need a handful of anchor shows to keep people subscribing.

As far as music goes, there's a very 'long tail' of content that people enjoy, but won't pay much (or anything) for, supported by a tiny 'fat head' of about 100 artists who your platform has got to have. Spotify's shareholders would have been delighted when Taylor Swift finally returned to the fold. I'll bet Spotify made it VERY worthwhile for her. As far as the consumer goes, the only way to win, is to refuse to play.

EDIT: We might say we want competition, but we want convenience even more.
hagfish

Postby phill » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:53 am

most of the "traditional " ( meaning ancient routed ) jobs have always had a cyclical life

now its the turn of the minstrels .. the best minstrels who could sing in the right key joined the opera and have largely remained unchanged
the travellers however had a remarkable upturn when edison scratched their sounds onto wax , the odd format change only increased their income and they along with those that could convince them they were necessary to the payroll ( to the point they took most of it ) were in clover and have been for ~100 years ... things dont last forever and now there is a downturn that is biting into mainly those that think they deserve the lions share of someone else's work .. how long the yelping and blame will continue is anyone's guess
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby JonL » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:18 pm

I support artists and buy their work through Bandcamp. Not many, but nearly all the money goes to the artist, and you get notification from same, when someone is releasing something new.
Otherwise, I just use a peer-to-peer service, find and download what looks interesting.
Has worked for the last 20 yrs.....and so.... 20,000 mp3 tracks of virtually every style of music under the sun are on call when and where I want...
JonL

Return to Today's column