SkyTV lose the plot (again) (26 Sep, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

SkyTV lose the plot (again) (26 Sep, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:54 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0926.shtml

Suing The Pirate Bay?????

Seriously?

What are Sky TV NZ thinking?

Surely their only hope of survival in a world where SD satellite TV is "so last century" is to try and strike a deal with the new king of entertainment, Netflix. That's what Sky TV UK has done but even then, commentators are doubtful it will save a similar decline in revenues and subscriber numbers for that satellite based pay-TV network.

Should New Zealand's ISPs be forced by the courts to block sites that infringe or facilitate the infrigement of copyright?

Has Sky ever heard of VPNs?

Oh, that's right... they have. I think they were claiming that people who used VPNs were also pirates because they were accessing the US-version of Netflix and watching stuff for which Sky had the NZ rights.

Clowns!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: SkyTV lose the plot (again) (26 Sep, 2018)

Postby Perry » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:14 am

The writing was on the wall, long ago, when Murdoch (or was it Packer?) sold their shares.

They could see what was coming.

Sky struggle to see the nose on their face.
Perry

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:16 am

It's the '300,000' number watching pirate streams of Sports they quote, extrapolated from a survey of 1009 adults. I know statistically speaking some numbers can be estimated from certain types of surveys, given very specific sample groups of specific population groups, but in this case I'd have to assume +/-x% where x is a completely unknown figure.
The world has changed, and these modern-day buggy whip manufacturers need to realise this.
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby latewings » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:07 am

Ironic how they're shouting "Everyone panic: the Sky is falling." Sums up their utter inability to understand the viewing market changed to on-demand years ago.

In the internet, country borders are vague. Sky is demonstrating it's understanding of TCP is equally, if not more so.

Sky's brand is poisoned. A clever company might have adapted and changed to the wants of the market. JF should go down with the ship, but alas he's got the retirement water wings on.
latewings

Postby phill » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:33 am

i love the impressive figures they have extrapolated from some of those surveys
the way they ignore some obvious conclusions but promote far less likely outcomes could only come from .. well frankly .. wanking to hard to be able to focus on the obvious
i can extrapolate some equally impressive figures .. using their own data
70% say its to expensive to pay for pay content .. basically here that means sky as netflicks is still in its infancy ... so any projected increase of revenue when they have tilted every windmill .. should be lowered by approx 70% cause most of those will not pay .. ever .. for tv .. they just wont watch it ... me included

they seem to think isp,s can block any named site permanently
forgetting its not a name .. its a number .. when the number changes .. its back to square one .. hint .. the numbers change .. often .. ( as indeed does the name )

Most (81 per cent) gave "it's not available in New Zealand" as the reason for their digital piracy
if they dont have it ... how can they include it in their reasons to block it ... thats 60s logic when people happily watched 5 year old coronation street episodes
on 1 of the 2 available formats they could watch ...... it doesnt apply to the must have instantly generation's
do they not know people watch things that interest them .. not just what tv channels show for them to watch ... or do they want to block you tube as well .. maybe they have not heard of it

there are in the very high hundreds of tv channels available online .. both legally and unofficially streamed
total number of sky new zealand channels being streamed anywhere online = 0
their content is so sucky and undesirable .. even the pirates dont want them

cost to enter this game of dubious payback wack a mole ... millions per year
benefit to bottom line per year for all the efforts made ... less than cost ... by quite a margin

im guessing its all to do with share price
as long as they can convince share holders the problems are with pirates and they are actively doing something about it .. the shares will sink slowly
if the market figures out its a busted business model they will desert it in numbers
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Return to Today's column