(Sometimes) I hate it when I'm right (28 Sep, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

(Sometimes) I hate it when I'm right (28 Sep, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:16 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0928.shtml

I told ya so!

Yes, the MJP looks as if it really has crashed and burned, as I predicted back in 2010.

Why do people not listen and, despite the warnings, throw money at these ridiculously over-hyped ideas?

Is it any wonder that really clever people with insanely good (and commercially viable) ideas are denied funding in the wake of these tech disasters that should never have gotten past the first hurdle?

I guess, in light of yet another failure, it's easy to understand why Kiwi investors perfer to rape the futures of their children and grandchildren by investing in property rather than productive enterprise -- but it's still a tragedy that this is the case.

And, does anyone remember the Knowledge Wave and how we were told by the politicians of the day that NZ would become a heavy-hitter in the world of intellectual property and technology?

Why do we keep re-electing people of this sorry calibre?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: (Sometimes) I hate it when I'm right (28 Sep, 2018)

Postby latewings » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:03 am

It's goodbye to one aviation disaster, the MJ, and hello to another: the potential closure of airspace around Alexandra to all aviation (including SAR apparently) to a private company for Drone testing.

WRT the ducted fan funding it shows how a solution without a problem can suck in both people and money with a slick sales manager and some shiny brochures.

NZ investment history is littered with similar examples: Bridge, Equity and Gold plus the suffix corp equaled eager bloated flies to the fetid excreta of a promised quick buck.
latewings

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:11 pm

Yes, I saw that and have just made a video (in edit) in which I castigate the drone company involved.

Why the hell do they want airspace up to 8,000ft and why so close to an airport?

Duh!

Hell, if they'd gone a little further afield and stuck to 0-400ft AGL then I think there'd have been far less kick-back.

Mind you, having said that, it's not like this would be a permanent exclusion zone -- the restrictions would only have applied during scheduled flying and notified via NOTAM so perhaps the GA community is being just a little precious as well.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:59 pm

bruce wrote:Property investment may be great for the investor... but it's awful news for the country as a whole and for everyone else. Property as such does not "produce" anything. It creates no export receipts and it creates no jobs. Simply buying a house at one price and selling it at a higher price only creates commissions for real-estate salesmen, bigger interest payments to Aussie banks and simply steals from future generations who are left with ever-soaring prices. The "profits" from speculative property investment are simply a tax on our children and their children's children.

Jees, Bruce, you need to make the difference a lot clearer between speculators and property investors. A huge chunk of NZ rental property providers are the proverbial mum and dad property investors. They are not speculators. Take care lest - 10,000-per-year-KiwiBold dreamer - Dhil Twitford seeks to recruit you to has spin doctor team. He managed around 20 KiwiBuilds in year one. Only 9,980 short.
Perry

Postby Muz » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:50 pm

It's okay, they've finally found a use for the MJP

Muz

Postby Weasel » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:21 am

> New Zealand's tech industry.

It doesn't exist in the context of countries with actual tech industries. What you have are some hopeful people trying to sell an idea to anyone that'll listen, not products developed from market research and hard data.

Until NZ fixes its tax codes and immigration policies to be "environmentally friendly" to VC and tech companies, NZ won't have a tech industry - bar the occasional accidental success story.
Weasel

Postby roygbiv » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:51 am

Well, I think your beer glass is certainly half empty this time around. Hi tech and innovation in this country is certainly alive and kicking but it is just not in those places that you want it to be. Aviation for example, whether it be in the form of drone technology or aircraft needs serious capital investment, we just do not have the critical mass to make it so. The shrewd investors know this fact, government agencies do too and, as you have pointed out so many times are biased against it. The wealth in America is such that an individual may make such a hobby of sinking millions into a technology, Larry Ellison for example, and the Americas Cup, since his involvement the technology has completely changed. We have only been able to compete successfully by corporate, government and overseas finance/sponsorship.

We are successful as a country in innovation AND computing but it is in areas not reported well in our very badly sensationalist media outlets as their news is mainly tittle tattle from overseas. Check out these guys and the organisation, what they are already doing with such technology. Mind blowing, 'nuf said.

The housing market has been a sure stable winner for quite some time, it is a long term investment with an excellent return and why shouldn't people who are looking well ahead for their retirement jump on the band wagon. The people making short term killings in this area seem to attract the headlines or those who lose out because of it.
roygbiv

Return to Today's column