The tech equivalent of clean needles? (4 Oct, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

The tech equivalent of clean needles? (4 Oct, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:02 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/1004.stml

It was a viewer of my RCModelReviews channel who actually came up with the analogy of the clean needles programme for the information I am intending to disseminate to those who would break the rules regarding flying drones and RC models beyond visual range.

What do readers think... which is the safer option:

1. to naively believe that everyone will follow the rules therefore the problem doesn't exist?

2. accept that people are going to break the rules so provide them with the information necessary to ensure that their rule-breaking represents the lowest possible risk to themselves and others?

The clean needles programmes seem to set a precedent for option 2 but are airspace regulators and governments smart enough to see the equivalence in what I'm doing or, as seems to be the case when the world "drone" is involved, will they lock their commonsense away in a drawer and start bitching and moaning?

You tell me.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: The tech equivalent of clean needles? (4 Oct, 2018)

Postby hagfish » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:58 am

[USA G-man 1] Remember that guy from Noo Zeelund with his LCCM project?
[USA G-man 2] Yeah - he thought he'd rub our noses in some 'reality'. How'd that work out for him?
[Laughter]
[USA G-man 1] It seems he's at it again...
[USA G-man 2] *cracks knuckles*
hagfish

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:59 am

[Trump] Leave him alone, he's helping me make America great again!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Malcolm » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:20 am

aardvark_admin wrote:[Trump] Leave him alone, he's helping me make America great again!

More likely:
[Trump] Let me consult with my advisors

*turns on Fox News and tweets incoherently for four hours*
Malcolm

Postby Perry » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:34 am

Old adage:
Rules
Are for the guidance of the wise
And the obeisance of fools
Perry

Postby phill » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:02 am

i must be missing something
to me there is little difference between putting on a set of goggles and flying a unit around within visual line of sight ( which you cannot see .. because you have goggles on ) and flying it to a point where you could not see it visually ( which you would not be aware of ... because you have goggles on )

soo
mitigation for me .. would be .. any model doing it must have a voluntary return to base command .. with manual override control .. and an auto return to base if the visual or control signal is lost
both of which must be return via reverse outward track ( height and position )

any other rules would be the same as normal flying
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:28 am

But Phill, the rules also state that when you are flying with the goggles on, there must also be someone beside you (an "observer") who can alert you to things that you might not be aware of -- like that noisy Cessna 172 or 737 flying nearby and breaking the rules by operating under 500 feet. Apparently, manned aviation is *not* to be trusted to follow the rules prescribed for them so the hobby must pay a penalty and accept full liability should one of those pilots decide to endanger their own lives by flying down in the area prescribed for drones and RC models.

Yep... the dice are loaded!

So this means that if you fly beyond visual line of sight, your "observer" is no longer able to see the model so can't allert you to these rogue pilots with a death-wish -- hence the need to stay close!

I would just *love* to know exactly how many of those who are responsible for making the rules regarding FPV flying and BVLOS have actually even flown an RC model via video, let alone flown one beyond line of sight. I would wager that the number is zero. Nothing like getting skiing instructions from a swimming coach eh?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby latewings » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:05 pm

It would be nice if the world stopped producing idiots, and idiots who copy other idiots. For example those who aped the Australian lads putting needles into seasonal fruit.

Drone pleasure flying is but one Aviation incident from being shut down entirely. Recently there have been two videos (that I've seen) of close encounters with commercial aircraft from drone cameras. Fake or not, they'll prompt someone on the left foothills of the IQ bell-curve to mimic the event, and that's going to infuriate a lot of people if an accident occurs: and those in the front-row seats onboard said aircraft will have the most to say in the shortest time.

Its a big sky and there ought to be enough room for all to play. As an aviator of fixed wing and rotary aircraft I see little reason for one to have precedence over the other providing healthy separation is strictly adhered to. The rules I fly to state a height greater than 500 feet when airborne (note height, not altitude), unless conducting a t/o or landing. In fixed wing that's easy as airfields are mostly where I'll be below that height. In a helicopter I have more options, but off-field I'd have prior authority with the owner and conducted site awareness before landing thus any drone proximity should be easily avoided.

As a solution could a drone's GPS prevent operation beyond 100 meters (arbitrary number) from take-off point unless it's in an area known to be away from significant airfields? IE: The drone cannot fly that distance away from where it lifted off? To extend beyond that programmed distance would only be possible beyond 4nm from a known airfield and that boundary is an impenetrable wall. It should also be relatively simple to use hPa sensors to ascertain height from lift off point using 1hPa=30 feet that is commonly used in GA. If all drones had that built in safeguard then BVLOS should be easy.

Then no-one need break the rules.

Edit: Significant airfield locations are a static data set and with GPS on a chip, the arithmetic shouldn't be rocket carpentry.
latewings

Postby phill » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:25 pm

i wonder how hard it would be for ca / pilots association to fake enough vids to get them what they want
new 4k+ plus cams can have both optical and digital zooms so i could appear to be sitting on a wingtip from almost a km away
nobody will allow sufficient examining of the vid to see the relative angle changes are not in alignment with that
so it would pretty much work
hey
faking vids even with human subjects included
is so realistic now you could do a vid of anyone or thing doing anything
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby latewings » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:45 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csTkMwBE45g

It doesn't matter if this is real or fake. The issue is someone with little regard for rules will attempt to mimic the flight and footage. That's going to affect both Drone and Aviation participants adversely if an accident occurs.
latewings

Next

Return to Today's column