It cost how much? (6 Nov, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

It cost how much? (6 Nov, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:09 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/1106.shtml

Perhaps I should buy disk storage more often -- then I wouldn't be so pleasantly shocked at how cheap HD and SSD storage has become.

How on earth did we survive when a 8MB (that's mega-byte, not terabyte or even gigabyte) drive cost a whopping $10,000 less than four decades ago.

The plummeting cost of SSD storage raises an interesting question... how long before the mechanical HD goes the way of the floppy drive?

And what do YOU use for backing up your SSDs? A mechanical HD? A USB drive? DVDR? CDR? 3.5" floppy disks? a single-sided, single-density hard-sectored 8-inch floppy? Audio cassette tapes? LOL?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: It cost how much? (6 Nov, 2018)

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:24 am

Sitting in the 'might pay to hang on to this' cupboard: 3.5" floppies, ZIP disks, QIC dat tapes - all backup media from years past. And in the "Don't Throw out just yet" drawer under the house - ZIP drive (when last used it didn't click), QIC drive and interface card, external floppy drive. Except now I'd be hard-pressed to find a parallel port to plug in the ZIP or floppy drive, let alone a half-size ISA slot for the interface card! And I'd hate to think what the bit-rot is like on the media.
Other backups on old external drive via 2 USB cables now lost as the drive has failed - the interface header rather than the disks themselves, and bit rot starting on a few of the older USB drives.
SSD will be good as long as the media is long term reliable.

Those old clay tablets may be low storage byte-wise, but could they be considered the original long-life solid-state storage?
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby Malcolm » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:51 am

Spinning drives are still good for bulk storage. A couple of 8TB drives in a NAS in a cupboard somewhere is ideal for keeping old photos, media etc off your smaller super fast SSD. Also gives nice central location to keep such things in your house. Just don't neglect the backups.
Malcolm

Postby par_annoyed » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:58 pm

Another example -

When I see those articles about "the average web page is now over 1 Mbyte" I can't help but think back to when
entire text based operating systems fitted in a fraction of that (32 or 64K, with most of today's features, disc resident tasks, named file systems, etc. just no graphics)
and how long a 9600 baud modem would take to even send that much.....

Hell, we had entire custom built systems for customers with 128K RAM......with 32 user terminals (text) running in real time.....

I remember 2 and 5 MB fixed head drives (with a 2 foot diameter disc !!), and platter drives, and 5 1/4 floppies, and punch tape....

and......I.....feel.....VERY.....VERY..........OLD.
par_annoyed

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:45 pm

I also feel old mate.

I recall 110 baud TTY interfaces (which were insanely slow, even when hooked up to a glass TTY... aka "terminal".

The "clang, clang" of floppy drive heads engaging and disengaging was also a sound that resonated around my office back in the old days.

Dot matrix printers and line-printers that used solenoids to advance the fan-fed paper with a very loud "chang-chang-chang noise" still haunt me to this day :-)

Oh what fun I used to have writing complex accounting systems with dozens of "overlays" so that all that functionality could be squeezed into a paltry 48K of RAM on a CP/M system. Then, when I was working with MP/M, there were the clunky file/record locks that never really worked properly and an even smaller amount of user-RAM to play with.

Ah... the Wyse 50 serial terminal -- that was a thing of beauty -- either with the green or amber phospor.

LOL... how did we ever cope?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Muscular Jam » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:52 pm

Well i'm not as old as some of you all, but I remember buying printed magazines that had program listings for our commodore PET which we would laboriously type in and then save to cassette tape. Last time I rebuilt my system I put in a SSD for the system and home partitions, and put the media on the HDD from the previous incarnation. sounds like next time I rebuild I won't need hdd at all.
Muscular Jam

Return to Today's column