Meccano jumps the shark? (8 Nov, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Meccano jumps the shark? (8 Nov, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:22 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/1108.shtml

What the hell have they done to my beloved Meccano?

Why have they turned it into a one-trick-pony and effectively killed kids' ability to create fantastic blank-slate constructions?

When searching the website, did I miss the old-style Meccano kits which were simply a collection of components that could be assembled into almost anything you can imagine?

Or are kids now relegated to simply following a list of instructions and building *only* whatever is on the front of the box?

After watching the first project in that YouTube video, are you kind of nostalgic for the old-school arcade games that were mostly mechanical in nature?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Meccano jumps the shark? (8 Nov, 2018)

Postby phill » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:12 am

ahh

you think its about getting kids to start thinking and conceptualising then bringing that to fruition
after all thats what meccano and lego ( spoiler alert ) were invented for
and indeed they were

sadly that doesnt attract as much xmas and birthday money as nice pictures on a box where parents think thats whats going to happen

marketing engineers ( salesmen ) were traditionally the worst in class when it came to engineering math and science
how did you expect them to understand what meccano was when they always saw the same pile of bits on the floor when they finished .. with maybe 3 bits bolted together .. as when they started

what they needed was pretty pictures and step by steps
lego did it and thrived
rubber bricks died in the bum because it didnt
meccano died till it did

its only about selling
who cares if it works
and this way they can keep selling to the same customer over and over
before it was one deluxe box and maybe a couple of extra addons ( that you mostly got from a cousin who had grown up )
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby Stevesub1 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:52 am

Like you Bruce, I was a Meccano expert in my younger days with quite a large set or maybe more than one set of bits. Oddball creations were the order of the day. I have not bought Meccano for the Grandies and would nopt buy them Lego if it wasn't for SWMBO. The only ,Lego we buy is the make a specific item, similar to what Meccano is doing now. Mid you I still enjoy playing with the Grandies with old Lego that has been repurposed from the original house, truck or whatever into a set of hundreds of random pieces.
Stevesub1

Postby Perry » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:23 am

Every time it was unpacked from its box, coming up with a layout for an electric train was another mind-exerciser.

But there is a glimmer of hope . . .
Stuff wrote:Teen's solar powered climate control system lands him a spot in ASB's Bright Sparks competition final

A Taranaki teen has created a novel way of getting out of having to do his daily jobs. Zeb Healy, 13, from Inglewood, has invented a climate control system for the family greenhouse.

Perry

Postby Malcolm » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:20 am

Lego nearly went bankrupt a few years back. What turned them around was apparently fully embracing the licensed content and set kitsets. People weren't buying a box of generic bricks to build anything they wanted. They were buying a set with instructions to build the Millenium Falcon. Lego still try to encourage free form building but they know where the money is. I am guessing Meccano is in the same boat.
Malcolm

Postby hagfish » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:54 pm

hagfish

Postby greven » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:03 pm

Does anyone else remember the big buckets of Torro?
https://www.trademe.co.nz/toys-models/v ... 664057.htm
greven

Postby roygbiv » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:20 pm

'Back in the day' there was only Meccano, and then there was Lego - which was my favoured toy (none of my cousins had Meccano to hand down). But, the world has moved on and there is a plethora of competing products. Hence, Meccano and Lego had to re-market, change or go bust. The Meccano F18 is probably one of the first steps to feed the younger creative mind, not the only step. I bet the person in your Youtube video probably started on such a model and, after feeding his/her creativeness moved up to building complex models from cardboard that we enjoyed watching being made.
Meccano is still as good as it was, but it has moved into the 21st century - good on them.
Gosh they even do a shark :D
roygbiv

Postby phill » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:23 pm

coughed a bit when i saw this

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/TOYMCO ... eccaSpider

this isnt meccano
its plastic junk with a few extra holes
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Return to Today's column