Where are all the kids? (4 Feb, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Where are all the kids? (4 Feb, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:47 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/0204.shtml

Why aren't today's young people being attracted to activities such as recreational aviation, amateur radio and the like?

Is it simply that there are too many other options?

Or is it a dumbing down of the population to such an extent that a lot of our young prefer passive entertainment (such as TV or computer games) rather than activities that engage the mind and teach valuable skills and knowledge?

Or maybe it's just that as you (I mean *I*) age, one's perception of the world changes and we see trends and things that aren't really there.

Are a great many of the "once great" pastimes going grey -- or is it just my imagination?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Where are all the kids? (4 Feb, 2019)

Postby Muscular Jam » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:20 am

My son is 14 and would rather play minecraft with his friends. He even does all his chores one handed while holding a tablet in the other hand. However he is keen to save up for a high end gaming rig and I dropped a few hints about how he could get it sooner by building the bare bones now and then upgrading it as his finances allow. He loves this idea and is now researching components and asking me if I can help him and show him how to use my toolkit. He was also whining about poor wifi reception in his room so I mentioned that I could show him how to run cat6 cable to his room. He is very excited about this as well. I guess its about appealing to their self-interest.
Muscular Jam

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:46 am

It's not just tech interests but seems to be any group in the Real World (TM). I belong to a few volunteer & special interest groups including Heritage Roses, and the greying started years ago. Now I'd be one of the few 'grey' left, everyone else white. It seems a general lack of new recruits coming into the fold across many hobby & outdoor associations, causing many groups to, well, fold.
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby hagfish » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:46 am

In the 1970s, it was possible for 'dad' to work at a blue-collar job that would support a family, pay off a house (that was reasonably close to work), have a holiday each year, and still have time and energy left over for clubs, volunteer work, family capers. 'Mum's' part-time job was money for jam, or helped them get ahead.

In these straitened times, the job pays less, the house costs an absurd amount and is miles from work, and the credit card, car finance, and hire purchase traps are always waiting - so many shiny things - have them now! With 'mum and dad' flogging away 60 hours a week, there's nothing left in the tank (or the bank account) for 'clubs'. Instead of gadding to our 30-hour work weeks in our flying cars, the 'system' has just shifted the goalposts until there's nothing left.

The local tramping clubs are all very grey. The only club I've seen with an influx of young'uns is the local Deerstalkers.
hagfish

Postby goosemoose » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:44 am

I joined the local radio club when I was in my late 30's and was one of the younger ones there. What struck me was how old fashioned it was. Luckily it's had a bit of an infusion of "younger" members, jokers in their 50's who have revitalised it a bit and some of the old, stuck in the mud, guard dying off. So much so that there are a couple of new members in their late 20's to mid 30's! What I have noticed in these clubs is there is often quite a bit of resistance to change. The local bowling club round here is dying because it still expects members to play interclub in whites etc, not just rock up on a week night in your work gear, throw down a couple of ends and have a beer. The old guard still refuse to change.

Some of the radio clubs are embracing change by realising that now amateur radio does encompass a whole pile of exciting things often not directly related to radio but that could be incorporated. I think thats where things will change, so what if some young dude wants to do radio stuff on his smart phone, encourage him and don't poo poo him and scare him off.
goosemoose

Postby roygbiv » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:01 pm

Muscular Jam wrote:My son is 14 and would rather play minecraft with his friends. He even does all his chores one handed while holding a tablet in the other hand. However he is keen to save up for a high end gaming rig and I dropped a few hints about how he could get it sooner by building the bare bones now and then upgrading it as his finances allow.

This is what the electronics and computer enthusiasts of yesteryear have evolved to, high spec gaming machines etc. With so much stuff being not only available but as cheap as chips so why would a young guy build one. It is a concern that private pilots are getting older and older, no new blood. One reason is that is so damn expensive to learn to fly and it is not the instant gratification that the modern generation Y expects. Hours of hard graft and exams before you can even go solo, not what the young expect nowadays.
roygbiv

Postby Muscular Jam » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:39 pm

roygbiv wrote: With so much stuff being not only available but as cheap as chips so why would a young guy build one.
They may seem cheap as chips to you, but to me and my son they are expensive. Plus I make my kids save up for things first, no credit. So its going to take him a looong time to save that much. But I explained that he could buy the case, mobo, cpu & ram now, then at least he has something to use while he saves for the graphics card (which costs nearly as much as everything else). He can use one of my old screens, and then save up for his big curved 4k whatevers. Then he wants a VR rig. It'll take a while, but he'll get there. He saved a couple of years for his tablet.
Muscular Jam

Return to Today's column