India, the new Internet star (2 Apr, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

India, the new Internet star (2 Apr, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:13 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/0402.shtml

India is making huge strides in creating online content via social media platforms such as YouTube.

They have dethroned PewDiePie (not a bad thing) and now hold the crown of "most subscribed".

Clearly there is a huge amount of money to be made and there are already some very savvy Indian content creators who are making an absolute fortune (in Indian terms) from social media content so will we soon see the Bollywoodisation of YouTube and other platforms?

Has the Western dominance of social media peaked?

Is the Net about to become a far more cosmopolitan place?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: India, the new Internet star (2 Apr, 2019)

Postby Kiwiiano » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:15 pm

I wonder what the adhesive being used for the coke bottle plane was? It appeared to be functional on both card and plastic (PET?) which is most unusual. I'm not sure how well the hot melt glue would stick to plastic either. One of its useful features is that it will let go of the plastic cleanly with a little force. Fortuitous if your bottle plane collides with the windscreen of any passing real plane.
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Postby patrick » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:28 am

I would have thought the cost of advertising on Youtube in India would be considerably less due to lower average incomes. Also, income from videos to be dependent on the cost of advertising - so probably less than you're getting. But yes, they have a huge population - we should see some great content given the number of potential producers!
patrick

Postby Malcolm » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:28 am

patrick wrote:I would have thought the cost of advertising on Youtube in India would be considerably less due to lower average incomes. Also, income from videos to be dependent on the cost of advertising - so probably less than you're getting. But yes, they have a huge population - we should see some great content given the number of potential producers!

Average is low yes, but remember India has more millionaires than NZ has people. So even if you limit your market to people with a net worth more then $1million USD that is still a fairly sizeable market.
Malcolm

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:46 am

Remember also that the ads placed on videos are determined by the viewer's location, not the creators. If you watch an Indian-made vid in NZ you'll see NZ-centric ads.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Return to Today's column