Why EVs are essential to NZ's energy future (3 Apr, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Why EVs are essential to NZ's energy future (3 Apr, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:38 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/0403.shtml

To consider EVs as just a way of reducing our reliance on imported fossil fuels would be very short-sighted.

Perhaps the most important effect of an EV fleet would be our vastly improved ability to take advantage of less reliable forms of renewable energy -- such as wind, solar and tidal sources.

Could it be that the EV's most important role could become one of providing a mobile energy reservoir that will help offset the effects of peak demand periods whilst soaking up excessive energy during periods where renewable generation exceeds demand?

For this (and other reasons), would it not be sensible for NZ to follow Norway's lead and become the EV capital of the Southern Hemisphere?

Your thoughts?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Why EVs are essential to NZ's energy future (3 Apr, 2019

Postby Stevesub1 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:07 am

All very good and sensible ideas, but for one who live in the country, there is really no affordable EV car currently on the market that has the range that I require. OK, there are EV charging points scattered everywhere but I do not want to spend half the time on an already long journey recharging my car.

I also quite often tow a boat for around 750kg long distances and that stuff my range on petrol, electric range would be????

But, I am thinking of a second car for my shorter trips and that could well be an EV. They just have to come down in price to be affordable.

My current thoughts are a hybrid for me, but I would like at least 100km on electric and is has to be an mid size SUV and not a Mitsi.
Stevesub1

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:17 am

Yep, I was thinking mainly of the (sub)urban masses who commute to/from work each work-day and often cover no more than 100Km or so during the course of that day. There will always be a need for vehicles with more range/towing-capacity (although EVs, due to their higher weight and massive torque should make good towing vehicles -- if they don't run out of juice in the process ;-).

I think it won't be long before we start seeing some serious recharging infrastructure appearing around the country and in fact, if you check out the number of existing recharge stations here in NZ you might be rather surprised. Unfortunately our local council have not embraced my suggestion that instead of spending $4m on a fancy "wow-factor" "iconic" building for the redevelopment of the CBD, they instead invite EV and power companies to line the side of SH1 here with superchargers so that folk stop and spend 30-40 minutes browsing the shops while their cars recharge. Sigh... that's the problem when you're dealing with old people that have no vision, imagination or entrepreneurial ability :-(
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Kiwiiano » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:33 am

Stevesub1 wrote:All very good and sensible ideas, but for one who live in the country, there is really no affordable EV car currently on the market that has the range that I require. OK, there are EV charging points scattered everywhere but I do not want to spend half the time on an already long journey recharging my car.

I also quite often tow a boat for around 750kg long distances and that stuff my range on petrol, electric range would be????
That’s going to be an on-going problem. We have a society loaded with expectations that a distorted environment can/must continue indefinitely. Would we expect to be able to tow heavy boats long distances, drive little Nigel & Fiona to school in a 2-tonne SUV and pop off to Puglia any time if the full costs of fossil fuels had been imposed rather than heavy subsidies, leaving the global commons to clean up?

But, I am thinking of a second car for my shorter trips and that could well be an EV. They just have to come down in price to be affordable.
My current thoughts are a hybrid for me, but I would like at least 100km on electric and is has to be an mid size SUV and not a Mitsi.
Well that’s a start. Battery & vehicle technologies are advancing rapidly and prices are dropping but when I get the Press Motor dropout that’s wall-to-wall monster SUVs that will still be on the road in 2039 I cringe.
~ Kiwiiano
“Nothing will make any sense until you realise that nothing makes any sense!”
Kiwiiano

Postby Kiwiiano » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:49 am

aardvark_admin wrote:This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/0403.shtml

To consider EVs as just a way of reducing our reliance on imported fossil fuels would be very short-sighted.

Perhaps the most important effect of an EV fleet would be our vastly improved ability to take advantage of less reliable forms of renewable energy -- such as wind, solar and tidal sources.

The current explorations in tidal are limited to Cook Strait, which has the capacity of several Waitaki Power Schemes. Fouveaux Strait has a good tidal flow and would be neatly out of sync with Cook Strait but is too shallow for the turbines being trialled. Pumped hydro is being used to store all three of the renewable energies and hot rock storage is a contender as well, especially for concentrated solar. I suspect the problem in NZ is that we already have more hydro capacity than we know what to do with, why else would be be bribing Comalco to keep taking it.

Could it be that the EV's most important role could become one of providing a mobile energy reservoir that will help offset the effects of peak demand periods whilst soaking up excessive energy during periods where renewable generation exceeds demand?
An added complexity but why not? Modern electronics makes it simple for the inverter in your garage to sync with the grid. Although the number of days Meridian claim they were unable to read our meter makes me wonder.

For this (and other reasons), would it not be sensible for NZ to follow Norway's lead and become the EV capital of the Southern Hemisphere?
Why not? It just needs strong leadership. Here’s hoping.
Last edited by Kiwiiano on Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~ Kiwiiano
“Nothing will make any sense until you realise that nothing makes any sense!”
Kiwiiano

Postby Perry » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:23 am

Kiwiiano wrote:Why not? It just needs strong leadership. Here’s hoping.

Optimist! In our dreams. Can't recall who said it . . .
If the people will lead the way,
eventually the leaders will follow.
Perry

Postby phill » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:57 am

tidal has normally 4 'slack' periods a day ~6 hours from high to low
both the straights have high speed flow areas ( karori rip is the biggie > 12 kph )
but plenty more ( mainly harbour constriction points ) have slower speed but usable areas ( up to 2 knots ( ~3.5 k )
plenty of offsets from west to east coast can help even out the slack periods .. to a point
lots of research and investment still needed to get this online

i still think with our skill levels and design ability we could easily make more ev's than our domestic market needs
the temperatures in the ( far ) north are ideal for composite manufacturing .. not having to heat or cool large buildings constantly or by much is a huge bottom line saving
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby greven » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:40 pm

Too bad the majority of NZ voters would scream bloody murder if any tax increase is implemented to help prepare for the future.
greven

Tax For What?

Postby Perry » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:56 pm

greven wrote:Too bad the majority of NZ voters would scream bloody murder if any tax increase is implemented to help prepare for the future.

It's not the tax increase itself; it's the implicit lies involved. It almost never gets to where its promised.

The tax lolly will be diverted to paying for the pollies o'seas fact-finding missions; baubles & trinkets of power; free BMW taxis around Wellie; local slush-fund projects that enhance re-election prospects; gold-plated pollie superannuation; pollies' spouses' subsidised air travel; ex-PM perks which would be subject to Fringe Benefit Tax in the real world; etc., etc.
Perry

Postby phill » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:39 pm

ahh the mental picture of a ceo and board sucking 10M a year from a company proudly announcing increasing R&D to nearly 2 m a year ( subsidised and tax incentivized of course )
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Next

Return to Today's column