Why should we feel ashamed? (4 Apr, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Why should we feel ashamed? (4 Apr, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:20 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/0404.shtml

Was the entire population suffering collective guilt in the wake of the Christchurch mosque shootings?

Was the PM's wearing of a hajib always going to risk the ire of women's rights groups and have the potential to be seen as patronising?

Why did so many Kiwis become faux-Muslims for a few weeks after the event? What happened to our own cultural identity?

Yes, I'm kind of peed off that those of us who remained steadfastly "kiwi" whilst showing our sympathies and respect, were made to feel just a little guilty or ashamed for not embracing Islam in a show of solidarity.

What are your thoughts?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Why should we feel ashamed? (4 Apr, 2019)

Postby Stevesub1 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:36 am

I am with you 100%. I believe that Jacinda has put woman's right back a few steps by wearing the scarf. Woman's rights still have an uphill battle and she has not helped. As for the collective guilt, not me, just because some nut case goes off his head, I do not feel guilty about his actions, I feel very sorry for what he did but not guilty. I had no part in what he did or his upbringing so why feel guilty. As for becoming a Faux Muslim for a few weeks, not me or my family.

I also got peed off with the news media that analysed everything to the nth degree repeatedly, yes it was horrific but do we need it shoved down our throats for a couple of weeks??? We gave up with the TV news until they got over it and did not read much NZ news on the net during that time as there was no real news, just rehashed analysis.

I really feel sorry for the victims and their families and they have my sympathy. May it never happen again.
Stevesub1

Who should we feel ashamed of?

Postby Perry » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:40 am

The less-than-subliminal meta-messages were disturbing: yes.

Perhaps the PM hoped that - by the show she put on - that might reduce the chances of an islamofacist jihadist nut job embarking on some sort of reprisal. If so - good thinking.

Like the article Bruce linked to, the Gatestone item had some sobering perspectives.
Perry

Postby paulw » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:49 am

Looks like Cindy's head scarf wearing didn't go down well in some parts of the world. https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti ... d=12218679

And now we have the Crusaders rugby team being talk by the academics to change their name because it's insulting to Muslims. Get a life though freedom of speech in this country has been seriously curtailed over the past few weeks where people are scared to say anything that may be called racist. .
paulw

Postby Malcolm » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:18 am

How is it curtailing freedom of speech to call out racists? How about the freedom to call out a racist when they say something racist?
The issue around the Crusaders name is not new, I remember living in Christchurch in the early 2000s and the issues around the name and the legacy of the Crusades came up every couple of years. It just wasn't until a few weeks ago that anyone actually listened.
Wearing a headscarf visiting the mosque was a simple show of her respecting the culture and the norms of the Mosque and its worshipers. It was entirely appropriate in that instance. Similar to being asked to remove footwear when entering a marae, or wearing a suit to parliament instead of some old rugby shorts and a beer logo t-shirt.
Malcolm

Postby Hiro Protagonist » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:32 am

Malcolm wrote:Wearing a headscarf visiting the mosque was a simple show of her respecting the culture and the norms of the Mosque and its worshipers. It was entirely appropriate in that instance. Similar to being asked to remove footwear when entering a marae, or wearing a suit to parliament instead of some old rugby shorts and a beer logo t-shirt.

Wot he said.

Really guys, over-sensitive much? 50 people were killed in cold blood, and you're getting bent out of shape by someone showing respect for the culture of the bereaved?
Get real here. The PM wearing a head scarf is no more forcing you to be muslim, than her wearing a korowai is forcing you to be maori.
Showing respect and inclusiveness to the bereaved - doing exactly the opposite of what that fucknuckle with a gun wanted - was the right thing to do, and has enhanced N.Z.'s reputation around the world.

But your poor feelings are hurt.
Diddums.
Hiro Protagonist

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:40 am

And the 300+ people who die needlessly on our roads? Where's our show of respect for the loss this represents to their friends and families?

Over 300 people died recently in Boeing 787 Max8 crashes, leaving thousands of people in grief. Nobody really seems too worried about that?

Yes, 50 people died and I don't think you'll find *anyone* who doesn't have huge sympathy for those who died and their friends and families. However, here in NZ (and around the world) the response has been to punish the innocent by curtailing their rights and freedoms. In this regard, the shooter succeeded in his goals, just as Al Qaeda succeeded in its goals on 9/11. The only way to disempower terrorists is to not allow *their* actions to punish the innocent and disempower their enemies.

As the saying goes: It is better to die on your feet than live on your knees.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:48 am

not feeling guilty at all

i avoided the news for weeks .. and even now the odd dregs are still brought up
jacky kneejerks wearing of a hijab was the most insulting thing to international basic womans rights i have seen ... something she is supposed to be a champion of

for many years i worked with 3 egyptian coptic's and a casual partner was also one
they told the real story of what the pm and associated brainwashed were defending

all the linked articles were as i felt / feel about the whole situation

the banning of the killers manifesto and thread of imprisonment for possession or viewing of it is a hugely dangerous precedent
i feel i should retype that again
it is a huge step backwards for democracy and freedom
a giant leap forwards for oppression and censorship
the likes of which are normally only found in north korea , china, russia and pick any muslim country
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby Hiro Protagonist » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:49 am

aardvark_admin wrote:punish the innocent by curtailing their rights and freedoms
As the saying goes: It is better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

Oh please. If you think your "rights and freedoms" should include owning the types of large magazine firearms used in that shooting, then do make a logical case for it.

I have zero sympathy for this sort of emotional response.
Hiro Protagonist

Postby Hiro Protagonist » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:51 am

phill wrote:jacky kneejerks wearing of a hijab was the most insulting thing to international basic womans rights i have seen ... something she is supposed to be a champion of

The most insulting thing?

Please at least try to be serious.
Hiro Protagonist

Next

Return to Today's column