Time for Huawei to emigrate? (9 Apr, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Time for Huawei to emigrate? (9 Apr, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:11 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/0409.shtml

What do you reckon... should we offer Huawei a new home, free from the intrusions and control of the Chinese government?

Wouldn't that do wonders for our own enconomy, whilst giving the company a "safe haven" in which to develop and market its "critical infrastructure" components?

Or is it time for Huawei to give up on ever being able to sell its kit into Western nations?

And just how much of this is down to the US government's influence within 5-Eyes and its desire to engage in some covert trade protectionism?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Time for Huawei to emigrate? (9 Apr, 2019)

Postby phill » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:33 am

the main argument is that huawei are made in china where the chinese govt controls all and can make them install any type of backdoor they want
so the 5 eyes group has en mass made the decision to not buy chinese made huawei gear
it will instead install some other brand which is probably only assembled in china from chinese made parts
or at the very least made from chinese parts and assembled somewhere else
i dont see the gain
if we are that worried why not just install / replace all software and firmware in a huawei box with homemade script
then control any access to the box itself .. via normal security measures
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby Malcolm » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:46 am

aardvark_admin wrote:This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/0409.shtml

What do you reckon... should we offer Huawei a new home, free from the intrusions and control of the Chinese government?

Wouldn't that do wonders for our own enconomy, whilst giving the company a "safe haven" in which to develop and market its "critical infrastructure" components?

Isn't that the whole point for Huawei though? Wasn't the founder previously in the employ of the Chinese security services, then one day quit and secured funding from *somewhere* to start a company making networking equipment. Why would they want to move here to be free of the influence of the Chinese government?
Malcolm

Postby pid@ifm.net.nz » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:25 am

Have a read of this article about the poor quality of their code and the unfixed security issues, then consider this is being used in core networks - and I think you'll see this is far more serious than being a Chinese company. They would have this issue no matter what country their HQ was in.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12218590
pid@ifm.net.nz

Postby granada29 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:27 am

I thought I read just last week that the software audit conducted in Great Britain of the Huawei code revealed many glaring secirity problems - obsolete versions of security libraries with known exploits. i.e a cobbled together outdated mess.

Now I don't know if the software from Juniper, Cisco et. al. is any better (I suspect not) and here we enter the realms of politics. Software with known exploits is good reason to reject the equipment but all vendors should come under the same scrutiny.

In fact - why isn't open source, or at least disclosure under NDA , mandatory for all these equipment vendors?
granada29

Postby patrick » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:02 pm

granada29 wrote:I thought I read just last week that the software audit conducted in Great Britain of the Huawei code revealed many glaring secirity problems - obsolete versions of security libraries with known exploits. i.e a cobbled together outdated mess.

Now I don't know if the software from Juniper, Cisco et. al. is any better (I suspect not) and here we enter the realms of politics. Software with known exploits is good reason to reject the equipment but all vendors should come under the same scrutiny.

In fact - why isn't open source, or at least disclosure under NDA , mandatory for all these equipment vendors?

As Bruce says - US/European vendors like Cisco, Juniper and Nokia are getting clobbered by the cheaper and better hardware offered by Huawei so are lobbying (paying off) politicians to block Huawei.

GCHQ have audited Huawei's code since 2010 - Huawei were threatened with refusal to do business in the UK unless they cooperated.

Of course GCHQ/NSA have ulterior motives for wanting access to the source code. They want to find obscure weaknesses they can exploit on enterprise level routing hardware and 5G mobile hardware in order to infiltrate companies and countries. Of course they'll make public any obvious buys in order to make it look as though they're doing good. The NSA exploit leaks show how they've found (or have convinced US/Euro vendors to build in) some very obscure exploits into Cisco, Juniper and other hardware.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/huawei- ... luation-uk
patrick

Postby Perry » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:47 am

Bruce wrote: . . . but find themselves out-gunned by Huawei both on price . . . . The environment for tech companies in China is awesome. Plenty of . . . cheap labour . . . .

I think you have it summed up, there.
Perry

Return to Today's column