Another step towards 1984 (12 Apr, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Another step towards 1984 (12 Apr, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:19 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/0412.shtml

Julian Assange's arrest marks a pivotal point in the future of Western governance.

If Assange is extradited to the USA then all is lost and we might as well resign ourselves to a dystopian future, much as George Orwell predicted (not that we aren't a good way towards that already).

The events that take place in the wake of Assange's arrest must be closely scrutinised and analysed so that the public of the Western world can have assurances that we are not on the path to totalitarian rule where our freedoms and rights continue to be annexed in the alleged delivery of safety and security.

Remember that UK law expressely prohibits the extradition of people to countries where they may face torture or execution. The USA fails both those tests (even specifically offering the death penalty for crimes of treason) so their extradition request ought to be struck out immediately. If not... well I guess the writing is clearly on the wall for all to read.

Care to place your bets as to how this will go?

I am picking that Assange *will* be silenced by fair means or foul. If the UK won't play ball with the USA's extradition request then it is almost certain that Assange will be "disappeared" via one of those CAA flights without any form of identification. The very things that Assange and Wikileaks has worked so hard to expose.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Another step towards 1984 (12 Apr, 2019)

Postby phill » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:45 am

Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt said the arrest was the result of "years of careful diplomacy" and that it was "not acceptable" for someone to "escape facing justice".

i interpret that bit slightly differently

The UK and Ecuador confirm they are holding ongoing talks over the fate of Assange

and that bit

" talks " between 2 governments about somebody who has been granted asylum under international law can be interpreted as nothing other than attempts to circumvent international law

i see 2 main issues here
julian assange and wikileaks
everyone on the planets right to be able to flee from injustice by claiming asylum without being bargained back to the perps

so yehh the arrest and actions up to it hold a lot more implications than the obvious
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:53 am

aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Weasel » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:50 am

Assange made it very clear he's picking a side with this WikiLeaks game he's been running, and thats to trash the US and hold back other documents related to other governments. He deserves whats coming to him quite frankly.

1984 is already here, and has been since the internet became mainstream, but rather than the govts of the world watching every move of every citizen, we gleefully give every detail of our lives away to commercial entities (Amazon, Google, FaceBook to name a couple, then there is all the ad tracking that goes on silently in the background of every page load) that, with-in the laws of the world allow them to turn this information into a product they can profit from. So these guys are doing the work for the govt for free basically, sweet deal isn't it? No one saw that coming, since any care flies out the window in return for a "free" service like Facebook, Google mail (to name two examples), and highly convenient things like IoT devices and voice assistants. Ironic that people are paranoid about the government watching them when the government probably couldn't care less Joe Bloggs, but Joe has not a care in the world about what the social media and ad tracking companies vacuum up.
Weasel

Postby roygbiv » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:30 am

Weasel wrote:1984 is already here, and has been since the internet became mainstream, but rather than the govts of the world watching every move of every citizen, we gleefully give every detail of our lives away to commercial entities (Amazon, Google, FaceBook to name a couple, then there is all the ad tracking that goes on silently in the background of every page load) . .

Well said, it is no doubt here and embraced in the form of social media, nothing is free and in exchange of the tittle tattle that goes on in social media is the ability to monitor and then manipulate the moods of the masses and sell it. The Assange business is topical everywhere, people having their say on how wrong or right it all is and what may happen. But, take a step back and look at the facts.
There was an extradition order from Sweden to face rape charges.
He skipped bail in UK and took asylum in an embassy for 7 years until he outlived his welcome
He is now arrested for skipping bail where he will be tried for

He may well be extradited to Sweden if the Swedes wish to pursue the rape allegations
What exactly are the US charges against him, according to a Washington Post article "Assange had been charged with an unknown crime or crimes by the Justice Department under President Trump." The US will have to do better that that to extradite him. Assange is not a US national so treason will not stick, plus they have this statute of limitations law which itself is a complexity when applied to Assange and may explain the vagueness of any extradition order.

When the dust settles after the guy has been in a British prison for a while, lets see what happens then. Perhaps social media and the world will have moved on.
roygbiv

Postby NordieBoy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:36 pm

Could he be charged in the US with treason?
Isn't he an Aussie?
NordieBoy

Postby phill » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:23 pm

"Assange had been charged with an unknown crime or crimes by the Justice Department under President Trump."

as a guess i would hazard that that is poli speak for we have not found anything specific so we are sending the juniors through every legal statute ever made so we can stitch him up with enough 3-12 month terms together to make him serve almost endless consecutive sentences
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby Perry » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:37 am

This discussion came to mind when I came across this quote:
Parents always lie to their children to prepare them for the way they'll be treated by the government when they get older.
Perry

Return to Today's column