Is this the new YouTube? (21 Jun, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Is this the new YouTube? (21 Jun, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:53 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/0621.shtml

Can LBRY dethrone YouTube?

What does LBRY offer that BitChute (which doesn't required third-party software) doesn't?

How long will we really have to wait for a platform that offers creators the benefits of YouTube but without the risks?

Have you noticed that YouTube is becoming more and more like broadcast TV and is thus losing the distinction that made it great in the first place?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Is this the new YouTube? (21 Jun, 2019)

Postby jiggytom » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:41 am

Hey, Tom from LBRY here...

Thanks for the review!

We are still a very young platform and we decided to go with desktop apps first due to the nature of our protocol. If we released a website, it would be no different than youtube or the other clones.

We do have a beta version of our app up at https://beta.lbry.tv if you want to check it out.

Also, see our roadmap for this year: lbry.com/roadmap

Thanks again and hope you give us another try!
jiggytom

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:33 am

An interesting element of this occured to me today.

Since users of the LBRY app are effectively going to be hosting content uploaded by others, becoming part of the system could open people up to criminal prosecution.

For instance, here in New Zealand, the gunman's video of the Christchurch Mosque shooting has been deemed to be an "objectionable publication" and possession of this recording is a crime. Taking part in the distribution or further publishing of the recording is an even bigger crime (there's at least one person serving a jail sentence for doing this already).

So, anyone who has the LBRY app runs the very real risk of ending up in jail if some of the files that find their way on to their computer are illegal. Given that the service boasts little or no censorship then the chances of such illegal content endup on and being distributed from an innocent party's computer could be very high.

Thanks... but no thanks!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:43 pm

i think you would be safe
its made by mericans from north east states
if it was euro or elsewhere you would not have immunity from responsibility
but being merican it seems thats a given
the only problem might be its not in san fran .. as im not sure of the exact graphical extent of the 'freedom from responsibility' dome
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Return to Today's column