Cyberspace, the new battle-front (24 Jun, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Cyberspace, the new battle-front (24 Jun, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:54 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/0624.shtml

The USA and Iran are slugging it out -- online.

Should we be worried that the most valuable tool in the modern world has become the battlefield for despots, bully-boys and rogue superpowers?

Could the fallout from a major cyberwar be even more crippling for the planet than the fallout from a few nukes?

And do you really trust the USA not to have backdoored the snot out of all your favourite US-sourced software?

In a world where politicians live by the "do as we say, not as we do" mantra, is it now clear as to why the USA is so hot on killing Huawei?

Could the only safe ground be the neutrality of open-source software such as Linux?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Cyberspace, the new battle-front (24 Jun, 2019)

Postby Muscular Jam » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:44 am

totally agree.
Muscular Jam

Postby Kiwiiano » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:12 am

Bugger, I may have to back off using the iOS devices and load Linux onto the iMac.
One what-if... could Linux be got at or would it require loopholes being built-in at the factory. Suddenly we have to avoid buy new computers and rely on the old dunger that should have been dumped. Now that would really grate America.
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Postby JonL » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:43 am

The US has been engaged in cyber war for years - most recently against Venezuela, attacking the power stations,(a favourite US tactic), and they are currently engaged wit a major attack on Russia, also currently targeting power stations, among other things. Lets face it, the US is the major "do as I say, not as I do" hypocrite on the world stage. We just have to accept that the net has been critically compromised by all parties, and the only thing is to have a net connected computer, with as little on it as possible, and an off net one, for important stuff.
JonL

Postby goosemoose » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:47 am

Just wait until some one blows up and AWS or Azzure data centre. That'll really bring our cloudy la-la land world to it's knees.
goosemoose

Postby phill » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:46 am

looking at the other side ...
all weapons unless voted illegal by geneva convention ( in which case they are kept for 'emergencies ') are fair game
those that disable instead of kill are morally more acceptable

my first thought when i read the attack report last night was
"what a fuken dumb ass " .. how could anyone be that stupid .. who in there right mind burns a covert weapon .. which would give a massive advantage to the safety of a first strike ( the one that physically takes down the air defences ) for nothing more than a pokey tongue .. really !! fuk me he is dumb .. how long did they work to find and exploit that loop hole .. all gone now because those weapons are oncers .. all for a pokey tongue .. repeats .. fuk he is dumb

we really have to vote in parliament to never have the usa as a partner in a war while trump is in office
he is just to stupid to have as an ally
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby decibel » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:46 pm

I think that the USA have been too hasty - they are basically revealing their cyber-weapons on something petty.

When the REAL shit hits the fan, the Iranians will have beefed up their defences and Trump will have to rely on real bullets.

Maybe.
decibel

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:52 pm

I dare say that the USA has a whole bunch more zero-day attacks up their sleeves so this little strike would have probably been a strategic demonstration of offensive cyber-attack capability -- designed to let Iran know that they are vulnerable.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:18 pm

to be fair yes most likely
but this one obviously worked well .. for no tactical gain ...
pointing out weaknesses is something you do after the bullets start flying not before
it was just DUMB
burning valuable assets for no gain is .. dumb
warning your target it needs to harden up its defences and where is .. dumb
making a harder target for yourself and potentially loosing the ability to effect it completely is .. dumb
dumb people dont win wars efficiently .. dumb people get there own people killed needlessly
who knows how many other methods they have on hand will work when the hardening up process is finished .. so how much has this one act act of dumb stupidity cost
given we are far more likely to ally with the usa than iran in a major confrontation .. how many kiwi and aussie lives are now needlessly at risk
it was just DUMB

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby phill » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:50 pm

sorry
thats a bit ravey
but to me its no different than fronting up with an f35 and saying
hey this is what you are up against
take it for a test drive and see how good it is

phill

Return to Today's column