Social media kills (26 Jun, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Social media kills (26 Jun, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:06 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/0626.shtml

Social media remains effectively unregulated -- even though it regularly plays a significant role in the deaths of followers and those who are followed.

Being a cyber celebrity eventually (for some) becomes an unbearable burden that affects their mental health, sometimes with fatal outcomes. The image created by many cyber celebs is so unattainable that others sometimes take their own lives as a result of the misery they feel.

So how come we regulate the snot out of recreational multirotor drones (which have never claimed a single human life), whilst allowing social media to pose a huge threat to society's most vulnerable (the young and those who may have mental-health issues)?

Perhaps it's just that regulators are pussies. They'd much rather impose harsh restrictions on a comparatively safe pastime with relatively few users (such as drones) than risk the ire of billions as would be the case if there was a clamp-down on social media.

Safety first?

Not likely... more like "the path of least resistance" whilst saying "see, we are earning our coffee and biscuits by making regulations".

Should those corporations delivering social media services be more responsible for the effect their products are having on certain sectors of society?

Is it time to start teaching kids about the dangers of social media and how to handle the disappointments associated with not becoming the next instagram or YouTube sensation?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Social media kills (26 Jun, 2019)

Postby goosemoose » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:03 am

I think you, unlike most social media influencers or celebrities or whatever you call them, have real world skills. These people don't, hence why they get all upset when things don't go their way. They'd have to get real job and I bet that job won't that great because their current chosen career path has provided them with nothing useful for a real life. I doubt I've even hire a out of work influencer to clean the toilet because of this. Even if they were cheap.

Funny too in the news, while they try to regulate the wazoo out of drones a couple of people have allegedly been killed and injured by these relatively unregulated lime scooter thingys. Weird.
goosemoose

Postby pingnz » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:32 am

The Science Daily article tweaked my BS detector.

Firstly, IANAL. I am not a Patent Lawyer.

If they truly have a Patent granted (or even applied for), then the Patent claims should be full of facts and there would be no reason to omit mentioning them in any article. However there is a big difference between an applied-for Patent and a Granted one. The article claims Patents both Granted and Applied.
From initial application to actually being granted a Patent takes several years.
There is no guarantee that any application will be granted (e.g. an examiner may find other Patent(s) that make the same claims).
If granted, then all new claims in the application are enforceable from the date of application.

Hmmm
pingnz

Postby Malcolm » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:47 am

I had to check the date on that article to see if it was current. The overall description of it sounded a lot like the early press releases for Intel's Optane memory. That promised speeds comparable to DDR4 RAM and the longevity of flash as seen in SSDs. Of course when it came to market it has such a high cost it is only used in some niche applications or as a kind of a buffer for other storage.
Malcolm

Postby Dio Gratia » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:44 pm

Which brings me to this release published today.

Excuse me? Seriously? What the?

This has to be the least fact-filled release I think I've ever read.

There's a reference in your top link that leads to the journal paper used as a source for the article.

The paper is made available by it's authors:

[url]https://www.researchgate.net/publication/333894594_Room-temperature_Operation_of_Low-voltage_Non-volatile_Compound-semiconductor_Memory_Cells
[/url]

Not so much as an non-informative release as an expectation of those reading the release being willing to research further.

The patent:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20170352767A1/en
Dio Gratia

Return to Today's column