Is that a hole in your keyboard? (10 Jul, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Is that a hole in your keyboard? (10 Jul, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:23 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/0710.shtml

Are wireless keyboards really the risk that some might paint them to be?

Do you use a wireless keyboard and if so, did you weigh up the effect on the security of your system before deciding to do so?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Is that a hole in your keyboard? (10 Jul, 2019)

Postby Muscular Jam » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:51 am

I use a cheap logitech keyboard mouse combo i picked up from the local red shed. My workstation has a slideout shelf and periodically the wire would snag resulting in the old keyboard falling off the back of the sliding shelf.

I'm not overly concerend about the security implications. I use the FOSS KeePassXC which auto-generates my insanely long passwords and then auto-types them in for me. Kiwibank then requires me to enter certain characters from a selection of pass-phrases using an on screen keyboard. Then it sends me a txt message to confirm everytime I try to do something out of the ordinary.

My biggest concern is total loss due to fire/theft as I have no idea what my passwords are!
Muscular Jam

Postby namartinnz » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:06 am

I have a corded mechanical keyboard for my main PC, and a logitech wireless for TV media. It was a great backlit model until the backlight stopped working (my fault). Ideal world would be a wireless backlit mechanical keyboard. Rare to get and expensive...
namartinnz

Postby phill » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:15 am

same as you
wireless for various box type computers
wired for the pc
partly for security
partly for the amount of batteries i would have to throw away
the boxes only need ~average of 5 mins a week of keyboard .. the rest a 6 component programmable learning universal remote does easily ( $10 from ali )
the pc gets 6-12 hours a day
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby phill » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:41 am

Ideal world would be a wireless backlit mechanical keyboard. Rare to get and expensive...

mechanical keyboard and mouse both wireless rechargeable lio ~$40

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3302971 ... 9eb0b6677a
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby Fast Eddie » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:34 pm

I've been using wireless mouse and keyboard ever since Apple ditched the corded versions. They are great! Knowing Apple they are probably very secure, and my guess is that the insecure ones you refer to are probably the no-brand versions you'd buy off AliExpress or other such places. In fact a quick search just now suggests that Apple are the only secure ones: https://www.macworld.com/article/310220 ... yours.html The convenience of wireless keyboard and mouse are such that I'd never go back, especially now that they have built-in rechargeable batteries so you don't have to undo the latch, take them out, replace them with fresh ones, put the old ones on charge....
Fast Eddie

Return to Today's column