Whew, I'm not just an old cynic (11 Jul, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Whew, I'm not just an old cynic (11 Jul, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:02 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/0711.shtml

So I'm not as cynical as I thought I was.. in fact, yesterday it was proven to me that my cynicsm is lacking!

I was truly gobsmacked when "enlightened" as to the shenannigans and outrageous abuses taking place within the halls of power of a foreign (but aligned) government and their bureaucracies.

Oh how I wish I was at liberty to "spill the beans" -- but sadly I suffer from an old-fashioned affliction that is becoming increasingly rare -- ethics. I gave my word not to repeat what I was told so I won't. However, I can assure you that even I was gobsmacked as to the scope and scale of things.

Although this wasn't New Zealand... I can see all the same hallmarks that indicate exactly the same kind of dishonesty, ignorance and corruption is likely taking place within our own "halls of power". Such a shame that everyone's hooked up to UFB-heroin and more interested in the latest reality show or blockbuster mini-series than in the injustices and frauds that are being perpetrated upon them behind closed doors.

Tragic!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Whew, I'm not just an old cynic (11 Jul, 2019)

Postby phill » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:26 am

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48945828

sort of on topic
it brings up all sorts of thoughts
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby Muscular Jam » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:20 pm

I agree Bruce, people are people no matter what country they are from, and rampant corruption and cronyism is one of the 12 Early Warning Signs of Fascism. But what can I as an individual do? Well as Confusious observed, “The strength of a nation derives from the integrity of the home.” So I seek to live a life of personal integrity and have raised my children to do the same. What more can I do? I got very excited when the opportunities party launched as it seemed different from the usual career-politician's bread-and-circuses and I agreed with their policies, especially the democracy reset (1 minute video summary). Yet their showing at the election was very sad.

I remember studying the rise of fascism in germany and thinking "why did people go along with it?" Now I see that it is really hard to stop a nation-wide trend. While I greatly admire Dietrich Bonhoeffer in the end he was unsuccessful in stopping hitler. perhaps my role is as Tolkien said, to have "fought the long defeat"
Muscular Jam

Postby A Bradford » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:33 pm

The quote from Marx made me grin. It was a nice epilogue to lines such as “a Fourth Estate that is now only interested in lining the pockets of its shareholders” and “politicians are more interested in greasing the wheels of big business.” Made my day.
Last edited by A Bradford on Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Bradford

Morons of the World - Unite!

Postby Perry » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:13 am

If the people will lead the way
Eventually, the leaders will follow.

Can't recall who said it, though.
Perry

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:23 am

I love it Perry... you deliver some priceless gems!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Return to Today's column