I think I was right (EVs) (21 Nov, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

I think I was right (EVs) (21 Nov, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:14 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/1121.shtml

Why are our industry leaders and politicians asleep at the wheel when it comes to the vital task of preparing our infrastructure for the incredibly rapid transition to EVs?

Will (as I suggest) they simply say "nobody could have predicted how rapidly EVs have grown in popularity" when it finally becomes apparent that they have totally failed to anticipate the need for infrastructure to support this transition?

Are we about to miss the train on EVs... and in doing so, lose the chance to help mitigate the emissions from our farming and tourism industries?

Why are their so many cloth-heads in positions of power and authority?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: I think I was right (EVs) (21 Nov, 2019)

Postby joeseph » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:19 am

I'm curious to know how Jacinda keeps her Ioniq charged - it sits on the road & I've never seen a cable attached to it.
Perhaps the GCSB are tasked with connecting it up in the small hours so no-one notices.
(same car she picked up Stephen Colbert in the other week, funny to see the rego blurred out in the clip I saw!)

Surely she must realise that if everyone in her street had one, the power reticulation would fail.
At the very least she can't dismiss the EV as not being viable when clearly they are.
joeseph

Postby phill » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:26 am

your expecting a bit much

get elected to the turkey barn .. and think as well
thats almost a mutually exclusive thing nowadays

it would have been easier if the sleaze bullshit billy english had not flogged off all the generation companies to his mates
now we have ex turkey barners on those boards still doing things the turkey barn way
which ends up being a much larger level of greed and more profit for them by doing nothing till its way past time
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby Muz » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:58 am

aardvark_admin wrote:This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/1121.shtml

Are we about to miss the train on EVs... and in doing so, lose the chance to help mitigate the emissions from our farming and tourism industries?

To be fair Jucy Rentals trialed two electric campervans last year. Only had a range of 100km but they learnt a lot. This year I think that there are at least eight vans with a 200km range.

The technology is growing rapidly, as you say, it's just up to those in charge(?) to work out how they are going to provide a constant supply for everybody at a reasonable price. Someone has to recognise that Tiwai has to go, sooner rather than later, and then they can start improving the infrastructure to get SI power to the NI.

It only takes two brain cells rubbed together to work out that a solution is required asap - so lets get two pollies together and see if we can get something started.
Muz

Postby Perry » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:15 am

We'll know when the penny has dropped when we see Councils replacing parking meters with charging meters.
Perry

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:19 am

I still think we've missed a trick with the factory @ Tiwai - creating cars, batteries (incl. refurbishing), and charging them.
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby Muz » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:24 am

GSVNoFixedAbode wrote:I still think we've missed a trick with the factory @ Tiwai - creating cars, batteries (incl. refurbishing), and charging them.

....and employing some or all of the current Tiwai workforce.
Muz

Postby Kiwiiano » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:40 pm

Two, maybe three options aren’t being considered. NZ has vast resources of tidal energy that are only being investigated currently. We haven’t even started with solar energy and before anyone starts on intermittency, the various options of storing wind and solar energy till it’s needed (or desired) should have been the subject of a Manhattan Project decades ago. NZ has ample possibilities for pumped hydro, for example. Not needing exotic new technologies.
The other option is simply reducing expectations. It doesn’t actually need a 3 litre SUV to deliver kids to skool or pick up groceries.
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Postby greven » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:02 pm

New large scale power generation projects are almost impossible due to the RMA
greven

Postby Kiwiiano » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:14 pm

Then the RMA needs urgent revision. There’s a helluva lot at stake here and we desperately need to focus.
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Next

Return to Today's column