The new Tesla EV truck (25 Nov, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

The new Tesla EV truck (25 Nov, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:05 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/1125.shtml

What do you think of Tesla's new truck?

Is it a triumph of stupidity over reason?

How can they stack ugly that high?

Do the benefits (few as they are) of using stainless steel outweigh the many drawbacks?

And although ugly can be excused if it's in the name of practicality -- in this case the vehicle seems as impractical as it is offensive to the eye.

Is this really a case of back to the future with a 1983 Mazda 323 as the inspiration?

Share your thoughts.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: The new Tesla EV truck (25 Nov, 2019)

Postby Malcolm » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:30 am

It looks like someone took too much Ambien (or other substances) Then binged some 80s Sci-Fi before realising they had promised a new car design by Monday morning. I also couldn't help but notice they showed no real offroad type footage of the vehicle and the wheels/tyres don't really look like the type you would drive it on up to the back paddock with a few fence posts in the bed and a roll of number 8 wire. Ground clearance didn't look that much either. I suspect it won't be making any impact on the sales of the Hilux or the Ranger.
I am not sure why they needed to make it resistant to 9mm bullets, who is the target market for that? US Moms on the school run? All the body work strengthening does is increase the mass and decrease the range. Although for the shotput to the window he did post a video of them trying it back stage before the unveiling and it bounced off without leaving a mark.
Malcolm

Postby phill » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:24 am

https://insideevs.com/news/383691/tesla ... rld-debut/

a visual shock to be sure
but step by step it makes some sense ( to me )

most cars are pulled off the road eventually because of rust ( an original thickness panel is easily fixable .. a rust thinned one .. not so much )

not sure of the inverter for power tools .. almost all the builders i know have shelved all their power tools in favour of cordless but as a charge station it has use

the lockable full cover is a dream for most tradies .. less tool loss

the panels seem to be angled for least reflection to other drivers ( a stick on sign will help with any problem areas )

i wouldnt give any of his vehicles 5 thumbs up .. but this one would be a hard 3

im guessing he is looking to the hummer set rather than the hilux set
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby hagfish » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:28 am

Maybe the lads from Top Gear provided some of the inspiration..

Apparently nearly 150,000 people have put down a deposit for one (a refundable $100, but still). It's the EV we could (should?) have had in the 1970s. It's something of an anachronism in the 21st century, but so is Tesla's SUV, and people are buying those, so...

As for its being hopelessly impractical, it hasn't stopped Ford selling boatloads of jacked-up Ranger Wildtraks over here.
hagfish

Postby namartinnz » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:58 pm

I would say Elon doesn't care what other people are thinking of his truck. And it's another 2 years before the final version comes out. Who knows what it'll look like once safety tests etc are all done. Dare to be different? And at least you won't forget the broken windows video - PR to remember?
namartinnz

Postby paulw » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:11 pm

"For a start there are the super-tough windows that aren't." I believe that they were. They had tried to brake them before the show and the word is that the windows were chipped from the attempts and broke fairly easily this time.
paulw

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:13 pm

What I want to know is what's the NCAP rating?

With body pannels made from bullet-proof stainless steel I can't see much crumple-zone activity so I guess it's your body that absorbs the energy of impact eh?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby joeseph » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:35 pm

Does it get powered by pure New Zealand near-battery-grade Lithium? probably not.
joeseph

Postby phill » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:50 pm

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/business/404 ... -batteries

that would be this one ? ( you will have to search for it radio nz its an interesting development )
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:05 am

phill wrote:https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/business/404067/taupo-firm-plans-plant-to-process-lithium-for-ev-batteries

that would be this one ? ( you will have to search for it radio nz its an interesting development )

Call me a skeptic... but I don't see sucking lithium carbonate from geothermal sources to be a particularly viable option for creating low-cost lithium at "battery scale".

Besides which, it's not lithium that's the problem (the sea is *full* of it), it's the cobalt and other elements required to make conventional lithium-ion cells that is the expensive/hard part.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Today's column