A little time-travel (9 Dec, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

A little time-travel (9 Dec, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:57 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/1209.shtml

Come with me back to the past, thanks to some excellent archive films posted to YouTube by Archives New Zealand.

Isn't this some fantastic stuff and an eye-opening look into the way New Zealand has changed in a few short decades?

How about those card-punchers, sorters, tabulators and line-printer?

Why is it that traffic cops were on a mission to "help" rather than revenue-generate back then?

And why is it that the Queen's representative today is accorded far less respect and ceremony than he was back then?

As for health and safety... well do your own digging and cringing on that one but the top-dressing film is a good start :-)

Are these visual archives an essential part of preserving the past?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: A little time-travel (9 Dec, 2019)

Postby namartinnz » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:15 am

The good old days of "crap happens" when there's an accident and someone is hurt or killed. Now it's find someone to blame. Glad I was from the generation of unsupervised Bull Rush and climbing trees, or going exploring for the day, back in time for tea...
namartinnz

Re: A little time-travel (9 Dec, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:21 am

namartinnz wrote:The good old days of "crap happens" when there's an accident and someone is hurt or killed. Now it's find someone to blame. Glad I was from the generation of unsupervised Bull Rush and climbing trees, or going exploring for the day, back in time for tea...

You mean "let's find someone (outside of the government and the civil service executive) to blame" :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Return to Today's column