A step too far? (12 Dec, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

A step too far? (12 Dec, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:27 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/1212.shtml

Won't this attempt by the government of Greece actually lead to more tax-dodging? Instead of spending 30% via electronic means, won't it be just as easy to under-declare your income and demand cash when being paid?

And how about the plight of the poor direct-exporting etailer here in NZ if other countries follow our lead and start demanding that *we* become unpaid tax-collectors for them in the same way that NZ has done of oversease etailers?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: A step too far? (12 Dec, 2019)

Postby granada29 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:47 am

I just asked a Greek friend of mine (online). He said that law was struck down by the courts for being unconstitutional. It seems the SMH has just indulged in click-bait without revealing the full story.
granada29

Postby Perry » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:49 am

Bruce wrote:Did our government really think this through properly?

Tut, tut, Bruce.

The words 'think' and 'government' do not belong in the same paragraph, never mind the same sentence. :roll:
Perry

Postby phill » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:25 am

interesting in what the flow on effects of that dishonesty is amongst the rest in a cooperative union like the eu

broadly they are all supposed to put finances into the weaker members to equalise the average lifestyle for all members across the board
so
any country under taxing and reporting finances looks on the books as needing a larger input from the rest to even things up
if they are already at the same levels as the others because of the widespread under reporting .. then the whole country stands to gain by the mass dishonesty .. at the cost of the rest of the eu
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:53 am

granada29 wrote:I just asked a Greek friend of mine (online). He said that law was struck down by the courts for being unconstitutional. It seems the SMH has just indulged in click-bait without revealing the full story.

And again we marvel at the wonders of modern "journalism" and the way it struggles to remain relevant. Sigh!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby paulw » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:28 pm

Don't let the current government see what the Greeks were trying to do as they'll do the same here and as Kiwis always roll over it will not be challenged by any courts.
paulw

Postby phill » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:17 pm

paulw wrote:Don't let the current government see what the Greeks were trying to do as they'll do the same here and as Kiwis always roll over it will not be challenged by any courts.

rather
Don't let the current parliament see what the Greeks were trying to do as they'll do the same here and as Kiwis always roll over it will not be challenged by any courts.
my eyes must be getting weak
i see less and less difference between them than i used to
that includes the sideways steps ( aka leaps ) towards the corruption direction
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby roygbiv » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:39 pm

The government do not have to do anything, if you look at what is happening in UK you can see it will happen here. Where do you get cash from - ATM or the bank. They complain about having cashless areas ie. the banks close down and/or they withdraw ATM in order to cut costs. And, at the moment it costs them money to handle cash, fill the ATMs, man the banks etc. The banks are forcing the cashless and electronic economy.
It is happening actually here already, bad example (because of the type of area) would be Devonport, AKL, they used to have 3 banks but now have 3 more coffee shops.
roygbiv

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:29 am

And isn't it funny that "back in the day", the bank would pay you for the privilege of holding your money but today (despite all the fantastic cost-savings that automation has brought), we pay for every single thing the banks do for us and the "cost" of having an account has risen dramatically.

Even more worrying is the fact that the big-four banks are regularly found to be in breach of the law or other regulations and continue to extract enormous profits from us -- yet we continue to trust them with our worldly-wealth. I think that more than a few people will be gobsmacked and dismayed if things turn to custard and they find that their deposits are not guaranteed in any way shape or form -- in fact the banks can legally claim YOUR money if they need to in order to stay afloat.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:16 pm

Bruce wrote: -- in fact the banks can legally claim YOUR money if they need to in order to stay afloat.

Ahhh, yes - the OBR 'haircut' arrangement of convenience.
Perry

Next

Return to Today's column