Why online shopping may have peaked (18 Dec, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Why online shopping may have peaked (18 Dec, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:38 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/1218.shtml

We solved the payment problem that was holding back online shopping.

We solved the perception issues that were holding back online shopping.

But now we face new issues such as shipping costs and the tax-collection burden being placed on exporting e-tailers.

Could it be that only Amazon has the size and strength to overcome these two new problems? Will these demands further cement their position at the top of the Western World's e-tail industry?

Should the NZ government subsidise the export shipping costs of small Kiwi companies seeking to boost the nation's total earnings by way of international e-tailing of their products? How would this be different to the massive subsidies enjoyed by the farming sector right now in respect to their exemption from the carbon-taxes that all other industries must pay?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Why online shopping may have peaked (18 Dec, 2019)

Postby phill » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:13 am

i avoid buying online from NZ because its cheaper to send smaller things from china than it is within NZ
there are answers for NZ e tailers .. but it requires some co operation between them
like setting up freight warehouses in larger towns throughout nz
1 person and a weatherproof building is all thats required to lower the cost of delivery to ballpark 25% of what it is
if they dont want to do it
then there is an opportunity for someone to setup their own freight company with an almost guaranteed customer base ready and willing to use it
then take it global because the problem is not unique to NZ
perhaps even NZ post could get rid of the idiots running it now and offer warehouse or home delivery as standard options
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby hagfish » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:58 am

Our family gets so many courier deliveries we are on first-name terms with several drivers, and have our own bar-code on our back porch so one particular company can deliver signed-for packages more easily. I think it's much more efficient to have one van making a hundred deliveries, than 100 'people in cars' making 100 errands.

I like choosing my own fruit and veg (from the local green grocer) but would be happy to let a 'spotty picker' do the rest of my food shopping. It would likely be cheaper, because I wouldn't be temped by all those impulse purchases/specials that push the budget over. Once again, a single vehicle delivering everyone's groceries in sturdy boxes (and picking up the old boxes to re-use) would likely be more efficient than me lugging my whole car to the supermarket.

The 'free shipping' phenomenon seems like a passing thing, that will eventually have to go away. When online retail no longer has to undercut bricks'n'mortar retail, I suppose the prices will slowly 'find a new level'.

I do think drone deliveries will catch on, but it won't be western cities that lead the way. Most videos featuring delivery drones use tinkly 'kickstarter' music as a background, but countering the F1 shriek of a heavy multirotor will need some work if they're to catch on 'over here'.
hagfish

Postby Geoffm » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:29 pm

The NZ delivery is a killer for many purchases. Often the item cost is not much more than overseas, but once you add postage, and in my case, the additional rural RD fee as well, then it becomes uneconomic. For a small item, the postage cost is a large percentage of the purchase cost.
Delivery times from overseas are also often not much longer than within NZ.
I have bought from overseas simply because of that reason.
Geoffm

Postby Geoffm » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:33 pm

Further to this, I think there was a comment the other day, about how people are shopping around different e-tailers, especially in China to find ones that think the NZ GST law is simply a recommendation rather than a requirement, rather than going directly to Aliexpress. I did this yesterday for an electronic powder scale, where rather than ebay or amazon, as is the habit, 5 extra minutes led me to Optics Planet, with a lower price, and no GST added automatically. If i get pinged for GST here in NZ, then so be it, as it is in the budget but a worthwhile saving if it doesn't. The removal of the MPI fee makes a big difference.
Geoffm

Postby Necrotic Kingdom » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:34 pm

I still buy books online. I don't mind paying shipping or gst, its still cheaper than the local ripoff merchants. I have an eBook reader, but unless you want the latest pulp-fiction novel its a waste of time. So my Christmas present to myself arrived just last week: http://www.librarist.com/nz/book/9780830852635
Necrotic Kingdom

Postby phill » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:05 pm

Geoffm wrote:, 5 extra minutes led me to Optics Planet,

jeez where did you take me
the NZ police shoot you for having an argument about a rello nowadays .. what are they going to do to me now they know i looked at rifle optics !!
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Return to Today's column