Privacy, a one-way street? (4 Feb, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Privacy, a one-way street? (4 Feb, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:43 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2020/0204.shtml

Why is it that the right to privacy has become such a one-way street?

Governments are increasingly eroding the public's right to privacy whilst bolstering their own -- by restricting the control of technology so as to protect their own arses from public scrutiny.

Why would any freely elected government in a democracy feel the need to ban guns, ban true encryption and track their citizens movements/activities with such vigor?

Should we be worried?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Privacy, a one-way street? (4 Feb, 2020)

Postby hagfish » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:36 am

The 'populist' governements taking the reins around the world are going to have to do some very unpopular things over the next decade, if they want to keep the wheels on. The freedoms and relative privacy that westerners enjoyed during the late 20th century will go back to normal. There's nothing like 'revolutionary zeal' to get everyone watching one another!
hagfish

Postby par_annoyed » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:35 am

I'm off to buy some nice ultra bright infra red LEDS to mount in my cap......
I don't have a mobile.
I'm wondering whether those same LEDS would work over my car's numberplate.....

But then if it's true that the latest stuff can recognise you simply by your walk, then we're all truly fscked (yes, a UNIX pun)

At least Firefox are trying to keep browser privacy alive, and are saying so.

I fear it's a losing battle though.

I can see soon that -
your credit card will disappear for a phone app (already available)
your boarding card won't be printed because of a phone app (already available)

Kiwibank are no longer accepting cheques.

my conversation at the airport will become "what, you don't have a mobile ??" "Guards !!!"
par_annoyed

Postby Muz » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:26 am

There is a very popular phone App called "Campermate" It tells you where the nearest post office is, where you can find public toilets, police stations, libraries, etc. It also tells freeloaders where they can find free places to park up for the night.

What most people don't realise is that once you start the App is pings your location every hour. The only way to turn it off is get into your settings and manually stop it, so the majority of users are happily unaware that we know where they are. The developers also have access to credit cards sales stats and they claim that through technical wizardry they are able to compare purchases with the people in the area at the time. As the mugs travel throughout the country broadcasting away and spending, gradually the developers build up a profile of each person and in that profile is a list of items that they "may have" or "probably "bought". Campermate then is able to start targeting each user with messages about things of interest in areas that they are near.

Scary stuff and yes Big Brother is alive and doing very well thank you.
Muz

Postby Muz » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:56 am

I see that Dotcom has just discovered that privacy still exists, if you're the government that is. https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/119254850/kim-dotcom-fails-in-supreme-court-appeal-ordered-to-pay-25k-to-gcsb

It's also great that
The GCSB had admitted liability and had been "held to account"
You're just not allowed to know what happened.
Muz

Postby Perry » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:28 pm

Perhaps wet bus tickets were in short supply?
Perry

Return to Today's column