This is the future (10 Feb, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

This is the future (10 Feb, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:08 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2020/0210.shtml

Of course ground-based vehicles make far more sense from a safety, economy and reliability perspective.

It's only a matter of time before fleets of spotty-faced youths ferrying pizzas around town of an evening are replaced by autonomous delivery vehicles that need only be charged once a day and cost just a few bucks a day to run.

Forget about flying drones for any low-value delivery, they're just pie in the sky!

More low-paid workers on the scrapheap?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: This is the future (10 Feb, 2020)

Postby phill » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:18 am

you have been living in the country to long bruce

its quite common in cities ( auks and sydney included ) for a journey of less than 10 ks crow flys to take 40 mins or more .. outside rush hour
add rush hour / any mishap on the route / more than one delivery ... and your chances of going over the 20 mins time rockets
any lightish cargo requiring short delivery times is going to be by air

for heavier / non time critical / outside city .. deliveries ground autonomous vehicles will rule
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:24 am

But those busy roads haven't put off pizza companies from offering a home delivery service via bike/Mazda have they?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:39 am

no alternative at present so their delivery range is kept low .. add air delivery and they can more than double the range /customers

for most i have tried its less than 2 ks as their delivery range at present
ohh and most at present restrict delivery to few hours after rush hour .. again something they can extend with air delivery ..
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby Necrotic Kingdom » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:53 am

I can't see pizza by drone as being practical, but I can imagine it being done as a marketing gimmick. Meanwhile I was at a church camp at the weekend. At the end it is usual for a photographer to climb up a ladder and take a group photo. This time the photographer didn't need a ladder he had two drones, one for a still shot and one for a video. The future is here.
Necrotic Kingdom

Postby goldedge » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:02 pm

Simply have swapable charged battery packs for the drones on standby, this is also how our coming fleet of
electric cars should operate, no down time for charging just swap a battery pack :-)
goldedge

Postby Perry » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:57 pm

So the 4-wheeled driverless drone arrives at the kerbside,
replete with this, that and t'other thing for delivery.

What then?
Perry

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:10 pm

The way it will almost certainly work is:
1. you get an SMS saying "your order arrives curbside in 2 minutes, your pin code is xxxxx"
2. you wait outside your house
3. the driverless vehicle pulls up
4. you walk over and key in the PIN code you were sent.
5. gears turn, levers move and a door opens revelaing *your* consignment (and your consignment only)
6. you take the package and close the door
7. driverless vehicle moves on to the next delivery

Easy-peasy!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Muz » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:54 am

Only fly in the ointment that I see is that when somebody is not waiting for vehicle to turn up - how long does it wait?

According to the picture of the wee beastie, there may be a total of four orders aboard so delay from one customer means your hot food (if that's what it is) in soggy, cold or both while the wee machine thing waits for the tardy customer to appear.
Muz

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:30 am

Well given that today's courier drivers don't wait at all... and in some cases just throw a card in your letter-box without even trying to deliver, the driverless option looks good and would likely only have to wait a max of 20-30 seconds (given that an advance notification was sent to the recipient's phone). If the recipient isn't home or can't be arsed getting out to the curbside within 5 minutes then that's tough cheese for them and they'll have to go collect their consignment from the depot -- just like they do now :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Return to Today's column