From bad to worse? (12 Feb, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

From bad to worse? (12 Feb, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:10 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2020/0212.shtml

I figured that the China lock-down would result in importers, distributors and retailers hurting but I didn't expect the fallout in the timber and other industries that are now laying off workers because there's nobody unloading stuff in Chinese ports.

How are full-time drop-shippers going to handle the fallout from this?

Will we see a mass lay-off of workers in the tourism industry?

Might we be seeing the catalyst for yet another goblal financial crisis?

Mitigation strategies?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: From bad to worse? (12 Feb, 2020)

Postby phill » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:17 am

due to coronavirus measures, xxxxxxxx fully start work only after 2.17. All product development and survey works will resume then.

a notice i got from a survey group im in
date has not changed in 3 weeks .. has been restated a few times

so it looks like the chinese wagon train hooks up and starts moving again on monday

tourism will be interesting
i agree it will likely be a net loss .. but thats not a certainty
a lot will cancel completely but
there is always some that will change from one place in favour of another in these sorts of times
its up for grabs if we lose more or gain more due to our current ( probably temporary ) corona status
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby Necrotic Kingdom » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:41 am

No planes flying, factories shutting down? Could be the best thing that's been done for our climate
Necrotic Kingdom

Postby Muz » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:04 am

Necrotic Kingdom wrote:No planes flying, factories shutting down? Could be the best thing that's been done for our climate
Less air pollution in China too
Muz

Postby hagfish » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:09 pm

It's a 'one-two punch' for NZ. A very big trade partner locked down, AND a big kick to our tourism and tertiary education sectors. Shiploads of frozen meat are sitting on the dock. Farmers are getting $100 less per head compared with this time last year, so they're keeping stock. Whoops - we are in the middle of a drought, so there's no feed.

Short term, we might be dining on $10/Kg fillet steak for a few months. Medium term, banks will foreclose, and flog farms to the highest (offshore) bidder. Longer term we will be a vassal state. And this is if everything goes well.
hagfish

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:26 pm

hagfish wrote:Short term, the supermarkets will be making huge profits on fillet steak for a few months.

Fixed it for ya
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby Muz » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:29 pm

GSVNoFixedAbode wrote:
hagfish wrote:Short term, the supermarkets will be making huge profits on fillet steak for a few months.

Fixed it for ya

Sad but probably very true. Potatoes have never gone down, cheese and milk have never gone down. Lamb dropped $10 a kilo a couple of years ago in the butchers (for a few months) but not the supermarket (if it did, it was a "special"and only for a couple of days at a time.)

NZers are there to be screwed so just be quiet and bend over please.
Muz

Postby Muz » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:34 pm

hagfish wrote:It's a 'one-two punch' for NZ. A very big trade partner locked down, AND a big kick to our tourism and tertiary education sectors. Shiploads of frozen meat are sitting on the dock. Farmers are getting $100 less per head compared with this time last year, so they're keeping stock. Whoops - we are in the middle of a drought, so there's no feed.

Short term, we might be dining on $10/Kg fillet steak for a few months. Medium term, banks will foreclose, and flog farms to the highest (offshore) bidder. Longer term we will be a vassal state. And this is if everything goes well.

Meanwhile TB found in cattle in the Hawkes Bay https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/farming/119462311/controls-put-in-place-to-control-bovine-tb-outbreak-in-hawkes-bay Cancel those cheap steaks
Muz

Postby Kiwiiano » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:49 pm

I’m wondering about the Chinese workers who are unable to work. We’re never more than 9 meals away from anarchy!
~ Kiwiiano
“If I’m ever on life support, try turning if off then back on again. It might work!"
Kiwiiano

Postby cjet » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:55 am

Cryptocurrency.
Who is mining what.
So gold and silver and thorium are go to metals in a crisis

Why thorium is added to gold and silver.

We know gokd and silver for 200,000 years been found in rivers

But now with Tesla cars we need rear earths

And with that we need look to first principles.

USA only now an oil exporter
Uk our of Europe union
Austwakia and New Zealand lock door to corona
Canada opens door to China because of the bitter cold keeps the virus at bay. Warm wet canter and Capricorn at equator are carona heaven

Who signed TPPA. We did. Who did not. Trump presidency
So how to get out of it?
Supply only UK again after almost 50 years

Learn to speak English and be feed “(a saying I axiomatically concluded when I studied demography. - birth rates death rates and migration rates of human population.

Time to ask how the world population fifty years ago was 2 billion and two doubling have occurred. 2,4,8. Well three 1,2,4,8
cjet

Next

Return to Today's column