Complex solutions to simple problems (3 Aug, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Complex solutions to simple problems (3 Aug, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:30 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2020/0803.shtml

What a fantastic idea... transmit electricity without wires.

Hey, Tesla proved it could be done way back in the late 1800s so surel, by now, we've been able to perfect the idea.

Well strangely enough, despite concerted efforts by some of the world's best-funded US government agencies and the world's most prestigeous universities, it still remains nothing more than "a good idea".

So will a small group of Kiwis with funding from one of the government's slush-funds achieve that which nobody has been able to yet manage in over a century of trying?

Of course they will -- because we know that Callaghan Innovation wouldn't throw money at anything which wasn't truly innovative and poised to create jobs and opportunities for kiwis -- would they?

What do readers think?

Do we have a chance with this bold plan?

Or will it be yet another great example of why Callaghan has (at least in my opinion) a reputation for simply looking after its mates, regardless of the merits of their plans and proposals?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Complex solutions to simple problems (3 Aug, 2020)

Postby Perry » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:19 am

O.K. I shut up and pay de taxes.
Perry

Re: Complex solutions to simple problems (3 Aug, 2020)

Postby phill » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:39 am

amazing what you can achieve
with a t shirt, a good power point demonstration
and some wildly inaccurate claims with very misty goals that fail to pass any understanding of the reality and of course simple logic
bypass power cuts .. sounds good .. but it means the system already has to be set up to work when you have one .. and spends possibly all its life doing nothing
shipping and air by electricity .. sounds good .. but its line of site stuff so what happens when it goes over the horizon ... or through to many clouds ...
“We can definitely get rid of pylons where they are most intrusive like natural reserves and forests where they get struck by branches every winter,” ... sounds good .. but its done by by building towers .. that need the branches cut away constantly

ahh i wish i could smooze like a kushner .. sorry kushnir .. the other one is a grifter in the states
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Return to Today's column