Where are we headed? (22 Sep, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Where are we headed? (22 Sep, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:35 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2020/0922.shtml

Are all events on the planet, including the attitudes and actions of its population, primarily cyclic in nature?

Will the pendulum swing back, away from authoritarianism and totalitarian governance -- or will the people simply rise up and make their outrage known in a far more significant way?

Indeed, are things any worse today than they've ever been... or are we just more aware of the issues, injustices and challenges we face than may have been the case a century ago?

Is any of this worth worrying about... or should our motto for a happy life just be "carpe diem"?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Where are we headed? (22 Sep, 2020)

Postby Perry » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:44 am

Bruce wrote:However, just when all looks lost, I remind myself that virtually everything on the planet is cyclic. . . If governments push things too far, the people will ultimately take matters into their own hands and overthrow or otherwise oust those who treat them and their freedoms with such contempt.

I'm pretty sure that this will happen, albeit perhaps not in my lifetime.

I don't share your optimism. It may happen, but what will be the human and environmental cost of whatever precedes it?

It has not worked in N. Korea and the 'state' of that state has been the same for quite a while.
Perry

Postby hagfish » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:31 am

Some people seem to harbour a starry-eyed yearning for a post-capitalism, Garden of Eden world, where we work the land, and subsist on the bounteous fruits of our honest, dignified labours. The reality of the last Dark Age was a bit more brutal than that; and the next one will involve a LOT of ionising background radiation. Even if we can avoid a nuclear exchange, all those crumbling reactors will take a fully-functioning, highly-complex society to decommission them safely.

The great thing about unsustainable systems is that - by definition - they don't last forever, but the "let's just start over" crowd should probably expect some inconvenience. One thing's for sure; if we don't make it off-planet this time around, it will be a lonnnnng time before we are again in a position to have another crack at it.
hagfish

Postby phill » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:49 am

there might be some financial bias to political reactions
easy to work out
just separate the economies of the world into 2 groups

first group is all the that make money from the use of fossil fuels either directly by obtaining and selling them and those where they are the primary form of energy

second group is those that will suffer more from climate change or rely on a stable climate and clean environment for their economy .. farming agriculture fishing etc

then see if there are any differences in amount of deniers or those in agreement with action against climate change
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby JonL » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:06 pm

Governments remind me of that old TV show, "Sledgehammer", the cop with the byline, " trust me, I know what I'm doing", just before committing another almighty cockup......
JonL

Return to Today's column