The rest of your life (23 Sep, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

The rest of your life (23 Sep, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:17 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2020/0923.shtml

The most valuable days in your life are the last days -- so it's probably fairly important to maximise the effect those days can produce.

What will you be doing during your last few years on the planet?

Enjoying the fruits of all your hard work and "living the dream"... or looking for a greater purpose and some way to leave your mark on the world you're about to leave behind?

Interesting things to contemplate.

Let me know what *I* should be doing.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: The rest of your life (23 Sep, 2020)

Postby Perry » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:59 am

In a word: mentoring.

Finding a mentoree could be problematic.

Bruce wrote: One thing I have learned through personal experience and observing others is that having a raison d'etre makes a huge difference to one's outlook and one's enjoyment of life. Without a purpose it is easy to forget the value of one's own life and the importance of making the most of every minute of every day.

A caveat. Include in your musings the possibility that you or the missus might be doing whatever alone.
Perry

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:28 am

Perry wrote:A caveat. Include in your musings the possibility that you or the missus might be doing whatever alone.

Indeed, a valid point!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby jafaboarder » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:27 pm

The long now - looking at the now in the perspective of long term change is important for feeling like we are having more of an impact. Eventually we will all be forgotten though so I like to think what can we do to accelerate the inevitable changes that the human world is going through. The technological revolution we are going through now is an example of something that already has drastically changed the world and beyond in so many ways and we are all helping advance this new tech life we live by developing technology to benefit many others.

My opinion on one way to fully enjoy life is to read/watch/learn about philosophy. "the unexamined life is not worth living" is a quote that comes to mind.

Something else I've personally always thought would be cool to do is leave a treasure hunt/mystery for people to try solve that will start after we're gone.
jafaboarder

Postby Perry » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:17 pm

jafaboarder wrote:My opinion on one way to fully enjoy life is to read/watch/learn about philosophy.

Whilst I agree, I imagine you, me and the 23 other people who would warm to the idea will be an unseen and unfelt influence.

We might give directions to the trough, but whether the nags will even go there, never mind drink, is another matter.

Nothing is harder to open than a closed mind.

Oh, about that treasure hunt. They're called Wills. And boy! Can they be a right menace.

Weddings and deaths are often the two most divisive and destructive social events in many family's history.
Last edited by Perry on Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Perry

Postby Perry » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:18 pm

Perry wrote:
jafaboarder wrote:My opinion on one way to fully enjoy life is to read/watch/learn about philosophy.

Whilst I agree, I imagine you, me and the 23 other people who would warm to the idea will be an unseen and unfelt influence.

We might give directions to the trough, but whether the nags will even go there, never mind drink, is another matter.

Oh, about that treasure hunt. They're called Wills. And boy! Can they be a right menace.

Weddings and deaths are often the two most divisive and destructive social events in many family's history.
Perry

Postby Perry » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:19 pm

Perry wrote:
Perry wrote:

Weddings and deaths are often the two most divisive and destructive social events in many families history.
Perry

Postby Perry » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:34 pm

No idea what went wrong there, but it was only one post!

Or intended to be so.
Perry

Return to Today's column