The best job is.. (25 Sep, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

The best job is.. (25 Sep, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:24 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2020/0925.shtml

If you were asked to give career guidance to a young person today, what direction would you advise them to take?

Are you old enough to remember when a job in the civil service would set you up for life?

Or were you told to get a trade so as to be assured of always having a job?

How much different is today's world than those of the distant past?

What would be your dream job and why?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: The best job is.. (25 Sep, 2020)

Postby goosemoose » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:44 am

Dunno. If I was doing it all again I reckon some sort of trade would be the way to go. Health too if your that way inclined - I'm not. I've been in IT and luckily have always had work. I couldn't really recommend it these days, the odd's of having your job outsourced are just too high, Remember when industries are bemoaning labour shortages you should always tag on the words "at the right price" to the end of what ever they're saying.

Also these days listening to certain lobby groups in the media, driving agricultural machinery or fruit picking are viable career options. Working in farming could be a option but having a farmer as a boss in a lot of cases would be a nightmare. Farming the elderly, now that could be profitable.
goosemoose

Postby Perry » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:45 am

A broad knowledge of many things is what got kiwis their number-eight-wire, DIY reputation.
Jack of all trades - master of life.
A trade to fall back on.

Car mechanicing will be awkward as ICEs fade away under the increase in EVs. Diesel servicing for big machinery should be O.K. But . . .

Plumbers, builders / carpenters and electricians - there are simply not enough of them.

Something Dhil Twitford et al were too dim to know when promising castles in the air in the form of 10,000 affordable houses a year.

Perry

Postby Necrotic Kingdom » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:55 am

Apparently when I was 4 I told my mum I was going to be a scientist when I grew up, and that's what I did for my first career. My second career was as a computer technician, and now my third career is as a teacher. I've enjoyed all of them, but teaching now isnt in a good state and I'd hesitate to reccomend it to any but the most dedicated. Teacher used to be a esteemed profession in our society. For example some official documents could be authorised by a teacher or lawyer. But it seems teaching and thinking are not as important in our postmodern society, and as I am forced to do more and more paperwork and administration in my own time for a steadily eroding pay I'm starting to wonder what my options for a fourth career might be. My son has his heart set on being a lawyer. I think that will suit him, as I can't even wish him a good morning without risking a debate on the meaning of the words "good" and "morning" and why I shouldn't have said that. (Or is that just something all 16 year old boys do?) My daughter is very interested in being a psychologist. Again I think that will suit her. She is kind and caring and all her friends want to talk to her in confidence about their problems and get her advice. So I guess I am trying to say pick a job that uses your strengths and skills and you feel passionate about doing. You might not be rich, but I think you'll enjoy life more than just chasing whatever the top dollar is.
Necrotic Kingdom

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:02 am

Necrotic Kingdom wrote:You might not be rich, but I think you'll enjoy life more than just chasing whatever the top dollar is.

Absolutely!

Because I have (with only a very few exceptions) always enjoyed my work, I feel that I haven't really had to work at all. Doing what you enjoy and being paid for it hardly qualifies as "work" does it?

I feel sorry for folk who have to toil away 40+ hours per week at a job they hate just to earn enough money to have a few hours of "fun" on the weekends. Surely it's more sensible to have a "fun" job even if it pays less because then you get 40+ hours of enjoyment every week instead of the few short hours you can afford to buy with what's left of your fat pay packet.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:07 am

Confucius say: take a job you love and never work a day in your life.

Very doubtful Confucius ever said that, but it's a worthy sentiment.
Perry

Postby Muz » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:47 am

aardvark_admin wrote:
Necrotic Kingdom wrote:You might not be rich, but I think you'll enjoy life more than just chasing whatever the top dollar is.

Absolutely!

Because I have (with only a very few exceptions) always enjoyed my work, I feel that I haven't really had to work at all. Doing what you enjoy and being paid for it hardly qualifies as "work" does it?

I feel sorry for folk who have to toil away 40+ hours per week at a job they hate just to earn enough money to have a few hours of "fun" on the weekends. Surely it's more sensible to have a "fun" job even if it pays less because then you get 40+ hours of enjoyment every week instead of the few short hours you can afford to buy with what's left of your fat pay packet.

Totally agree, that's what I've been doing for the past 20 years. Totally broke and can't afford holidays but usually love every minute of every job I've had in that time. Currently looking for another challenge.

My boy wants to be a pilot but that's probably not the best timing at the moment. However, his plan is to try for the air force and I support that - no student loan, has the chance of getting quite a good salary, if he's good enough to become a pilot or drone operator or whatever he should also pick up a lot of other valuable skills. Plus, if the brownstuff hits the fan, he'll have plenty of work helping to suppress the angry mobs when they rise up. At 15yrs of age he is very impressed with the Officers Mess and the food on offer there. Oh, and he leaves home at 17. Not much to dislike really. :D
Muz

Postby phill » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:47 am

environmental scientist would be my go to for those capable of it
planning and rehab will be available for a long time

helping farmers understand an efficient nutrient cycle would also seem to take longer than most would think
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby JonL » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:56 pm

Well...most of a degree in Geology....Advanced Trade Cert in Capentry and 25 years building ...Building Surveyor and Diploma in Quantity Surveying, seemed to keep all options open for most of my life...
Mind you I wanted to be a topdressing pilot....but after 120 odd hours.. at age 19, I got distracted by life.....
JonL

Postby Perry » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:36 pm

JonL wrote:Mind you, I wanted to be a topdressing pilot....but after 120 odd hours.. at age 19, I got distracted by life.....

Ah yes. Been there. Did that. Was it a woman?

Life (and death) is what happens whilst we're busy making plans.

I did get 10 hours in a Harvard, though!
Yours truly on the left.
Oh for all that hair, again.
Perry

Return to Today's column