Google needs dismantling (28 Sep, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Google needs dismantling (28 Sep, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:47 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2020/0928.shtml

Has Google simply become too large, too powerful, too rich, too evil and too omnipotent to control?

Surely, when even the most powerful governments shy away from demanding that Google pays its fair share of tax, something is very, very wrong.

Surely, when Google is allowed to abuse its dominance to ban competitors from having a presence on the mobile devices they control, that is wrong.

Should we be worried that Google now knows more about each and every human on the face of the planet than anyone or any other organisation?

And, given its admission that it is now prepared to be "evil", what is to stop Google from abusing that huge mine of data in evil ways so as to further its own quest for power and money?

What the hell have we created here and, more importantly, how can we turn it off?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Google needs dismantling (28 Sep, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:04 am

Just another observation... Google News seems to produce very few links to stories on this subject... I wonder why?

Dave Jones at EEVBlog has done a short video on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ajM3kkKwNs

A step too far Google!

I'm going to start publishing videos on LBRY and Bitchute now, simply as a way of voicing my concerns over Google's abuse of a defacto monopoly.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby goosemoose » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:23 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:What the hell have we created here and, more importantly, how can we turn it off?

Huawei! Looking forward to the new Huawei app store. FDroid will get you non Google app store apps.
I only use Google search for shopping stuff. My gmail address is only used for spam and f-wits. Try to stay far far away from them.
goosemoose

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:57 pm

aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:10 pm

Bruce wrote:Google seems to have decided that "anything goes" when it comes to protecting its profits and until such time as its omnipotence is dismantled, we are stuck with it. Has Google become so large, powerful and omnipresent that it is, for all intents and purposes, now "untouchable?"

So long as 'users' use their fingers instead of their brains, they are indeed "stuck with it."

And the consequences.

Aardvarkians might enjoy viewing Social Dilemma - available on NetFlopz, et al.
Perry

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:47 am

That Netflix program had great potential but boy, did they labour the point and turn what could have been an excellent 40 minute doco into a long, drawn-out, contrived feature-length piece of dross.

Did it really need to be dumbed-down to the level it was, with the "men behind the AI" being shown time and time again to the point of nausea?

Seriously, it's clear that the producers of that piece were being paid by the minute of footage delivered, not by the information density or quality of that footage :-(
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:05 am

It's in the News, today. (If Stuff still qualifies for that label)
Perry

Return to Today's column