A new year, same old problems (11 Jan, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

A new year, same old problems (11 Jan, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:13 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0111.shtml

Woohoo... a new year.

It's a bit of a shame that we're faced with many of the same old problems though.

The political turmoil in the USA does seem to be settling down -- that's a good thing.

However, CV19 is becoming even more of a risk to NZ -- yet our government fails to take the very obvious (and necessary) steps to protect us from more deaths and another nation-wide lockdown... WHY?

What do you expect for the year to come -- any predictions (I'll give mine tomorrow).

Have you cashed in your Bitcoins? :-D
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: A new year, same old problems (11 Jan, 2021)

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:21 am

I do agree we are way too lax at present and Covid will be back in the community within 2 months I'd almost guarantee. However, small correction:
. to which I say "yes you can, you did it in the original L4 lockdown"

Nope - Kiwis were never blocked from returning. It was mighty hard with b-all flights coming in, and the borders were closed to everyone else, but New Zealanders themselves have not been blocked from returning, even in L4.
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:46 am

GSVNoFixedAbode wrote:Nope - Kiwis were never blocked from returning. It was mighty hard with b-all flights coming in, and the borders were closed to everyone else, but New Zealanders themselves have not been blocked from returning, even in L4.

I stand corrected... I like being corrected because then I learn something!

Well perhaps it's time to do something for the first time... and yes, I think it would be reasonable because, I as I said, anyone who has left NZ in the past 9 months should have done so in the full awareness that the pandemic was raging and re-entry could have been problematic. We already have NZ residents/citzens who are now having to wait many months to regain entry due to the limited capacity in the isolation system so what's the harm in saying "it'll be a few months longer".

We won't be denying entry per se... just "at this time". The precdent for this is already in effect, due to that limited isolation capacity.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Petrified Metropolis » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:09 am

Happy New Year everyone!

Bruce I've said it before and I'll keep saying it:
"Darwinism" is not a useful word.

First; it originally referred to the work of Erasmus Darwin, who wrote "the strongest and most active animal should propagate the species, which should thence become improved." (Zoonomia; or the Laws of Organic Life, 1794)

Second; Huxley co-opted the term in 1860 to refer to Charles Darwin's work on evolution, but in many ways reflects Huxley's ideas rather than Darwin's. Huxley wasn't a huge fan of natural selection, so using his term as a synonym for natural selection doesn't make much sense. In fact after attending one of Huxley's lectures Darwin said "I must confess that as an Exposition of the doctrine the Lecture seems to me an entire failure... He gave no just idea of natural selection." Darwin wrote to Huxley stating "to the day of my death I will always maintain that you have been too sharp-sighted on hybridism; and the chapter on the subject in my book I should like you to read; not that, as I fear, it will produce any effect, and be hanged to you." https://mathcs.clarku.edu/huxley/guide4.html

Third; While Charles Darwin made a significant contribution to evolutionary theory, he was not the first and he was certainly not the last, and the word now causes much confusion and damage to science education, a topic I am passionate about. There are enough scientifically illiterate people in the world already, without us confusing them further!

Evolutionary biology owes much to Charles Darwin, whose discussions of common descent and natural selection provide the foundations of the discipline. But evolutionary biology has expanded well beyond its foundations to encompass many theories and concepts unknown in the 19th century. The term “Darwinism” is, therefore, ambiguous and misleading. Compounding the problem of “Darwinism” is the hijacking of the term by creationists to portray evolution as a dangerous ideology—an “ism”—that has no place in the science classroom. When scientists and teachers use “Darwinism” as synonymous with evolutionary biology, it reinforces such a misleading portrayal and hinders efforts to present the scientific standing of evolution accurately. Accordingly, the term “Darwinism” should be abandoned as a synonym for evolutionary biology.
Don’t Call it “Darwinism”. Evo Edu Outreach 2, 90–94 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12052-008-0111-2

I’d like to abolish the insidious terms Darwinism, Darwinist and Darwinian. They suggest a false narrowness to the field of modern evolutionary biology, as though it was the brainchild of a single person 150 years ago, rather than a vast, complex and evolving subject to which many other great figures have contributed...
Calling evolutionary biology “Darwinism,” and evolution by natural selection “Darwinian” evolution, is like calling aeronautical engineering “Wrightism,” and fixed-wing aircraft “Wrightian” planes, after those pioneers of fixed-wing flight, the Wright brothers.
"Let’s Get Rid of Darwinism" By Olivia Judson July 15, 2008, https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com//2008/07/15/lets-get-rid-of-darwinism/

We don’t call astronomy Copernicism, nor gravity Newtonism. “Darwinism” implies an ideology adhering to one man’s dictates, like Marxism. And “isms” (capitalism, Catholicism, racism) are not science. “Darwinism” implies that biological scientists “believe in” Darwin’s “theory.” It’s as if, since 1860, scientists have just ditto-headed Darwin rather than challenging and testing his ideas, or adding vast new knowledge...
Using phrases like “Darwinian selection” or “Darwinian evolution” implies there must be another kind of evolution at work, a process that can be described with another adjective. For instance, “Newtonian physics” distinguishes the mechanical physics Newton explored from subatomic quantum physics. So “Darwinian evolution” raises a question: What’s the other evolution? Into the breach: intelligent design. I am not quite saying Darwinism gave rise to creationism, though the “isms” imply equivalence. But the term “Darwinian” built a stage upon which “intelligent” could share the spotlight.
"Darwinism Must Die So That Evolution May Live" https://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/10/science/10essa.html
Petrified Metropolis

Postby Hiro Protagonist » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:37 am

aardvark_admin wrote:I think it would be reasonable because, I as I said, anyone who has left NZ in the past 9 months should have done so in the full awareness that the pandemic was raging and re-entry could have been problematic.

This would likely put us in breach of international law. Any Kiwis overseas on visas that expire will need to leave their host country, unless the host country is nice & grants a waiver. Anyone who is forced to leave a country & can't get access to their home country effectively becomes stateless, something we're legally bound not to do.

Some countries <cough>UK</cough> seem happy to contemplate breaching international law when it suits them, we haven't sunk quite that low yet.
Hiro Protagonist

Postby Perry » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:40 am

Bruce wrote:Why is it that almost all the world's politicians seem to be broken and how can we fix that?

We can't.

Stop electing them is simplistic in the extreme.
Even if we could, they'd vote themselves in, anyway.

Perry

Postby Perry » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:53 am

We do have to wonder how mush we're not being told. [sic]

A lie, a whole lie and nothing but a lie.
Perry

Postby Malcolm » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:02 am

GSVNoFixedAbode wrote:I do agree we are way too lax at present and Covid will be back in the community within 2 months I'd almost guarantee. However, small correction:
. to which I say "yes you can, you did it in the original L4 lockdown"

Nope - Kiwis were never blocked from returning. It was mighty hard with b-all flights coming in, and the borders were closed to everyone else, but New Zealanders themselves have not been blocked from returning, even in L4.

Aren't a significant number of the MIQ cases from the foreign workers coming here to do jobs no one wants to pay reasonable rates for?
E.G in the weekend there were a number of cases but most were tied to incoming seafarers. Heck even the incoming cricket teams had a good chunk of cases among them.
Malcolm

Postby Muz » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:08 am

Perry wrote:We do have to wonder how mush we're not being told. [sic]

A lie, a whole lie and nothing but a lie.

I think it might be more that they know how loose the controls at these containment centres really is. Edit: Just found this https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/434321/covid-19-miq-nurses-concerned-about-staffing-instability-at-border-facilities

I was very disappointed to see (was it last week) that the government was just starting to put out feelers to see who could transport the vaccines throughout the country in a timely manner and at the required temperatures. Surely this stuff should have been sorted out months ago? I wonder if they've worked out how to get it in the country in the first place?

From my own observations the majority of community outbreaks have been the result of contaminated containment centre staff rushing out after work to restaurants, pubs and supermarkets. So, first priority, especially when news broke of the highly infectious variants in UK and then South Africa, should be to get all border staff, pilots, hostesses and containment centre staff vaccinated immediately or sooner.

Bugger! I've just seen this https://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/its-too-late-govt-urged-speed-covid-vaccine-rollout Apparently Judith Collins agrees with me........... no no no no no no I can't be thinking like Judith. Put me down now.
Last edited by Muz on Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Muz

Next

Return to Today's column