Uncle Sam wants to tax me (23 Mar, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Uncle Sam wants to tax me (23 Mar, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:52 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0323.shtml

Can someone please explain why Uncle Sam needs to dip into *MY* pockets and collect tax when I am solely an NZ business and already pay my fair share of tax to the IRD?

Is this simply a retaliation to the proposed digital taxes that are about to be levied by NZ and other governments on large US-based tax-dodging corporations?

Taxes are surely based on profits and I do not make any profit in the USA... my profits are made here in New Zealand -- so why should I have to pay any tax to a country which doesn't even offer me any entitlements for that tax?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Uncle Sam wants to tax me (23 Mar, 2021)

Postby goosemoose » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:43 am

You see, what you don't understand is we ARE the US as far as they are concerned. They of course don't know where we are etc but as they think the US is the world then obviously the world is the US and we should be expected to obey their laws and do everything they tell us. Reciprocity is optional to them though.

So pay your taxes, pledge allegiance to the flag and bend over. Ask no questions. :(
goosemoose

Postby GCSBIntercepts » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:59 am

Your tax status is very peculiar Mr Simpson.

Nothing happens in NZ without it passing through the ambassador from the US State department.

As the Americans say, if you want your 'Libertee' you are going to have to bleed for it.

Although I see more industrious Kiwis have just given the Americans a good reason to get out?

http://lunaticoutpost.com/thread-238371.html
GCSBIntercepts

Postby retroman33366 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:33 am

I made a few cents on the $1000's invested in musical equipment. My first earnings well after bank fees and over seas (USA) taxes, well where kind of pathetic. Biggest problem is proving I have payed tax over seas with what little paper work i have been given and the fees and such as they all would be a cost of bisness so to say proving it is the hard part. Pretty sure using an accountant will eat the rest of the earnings with out any issue making profit or loss easy and this is a real loss not one of those fancy on paper ones.
retroman33366

Postby Hiro Protagonist » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:05 pm

In IRS parlance you are a "non-resident alien". The IRS website documents the ins and outs of your tax obligation for income generated within the U.S. - Note that reading this will probably make your eyes bleed.
You should probably find and submit the W8 form relevant to your situation as a first step.
Also note that you will need to take the NZ-US tax treaty into account.
Hiro Protagonist

Postby Kiwiiano » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:56 pm

At the very least you should ask for further info from Google as to why they are demanding money with menaces. Make sure you do it in a convoluted way to ensure that the process is so complicated and expensive to implement they'll realise it's costing more to collect the 'tax' than they get.

What are the alternatives to YT, what would be involved in encouraging your followers to migrate to an alternative? Would it be as lucrative?
~ Kiwiiano
“Nothing will make any sense until you realise that nothing makes any sense!”
Kiwiiano

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:23 am

Sadly Google has no "human face" these days and communication options with "the beast" are very limited, almost entirely operated by mindless AI bots.

There response will be "it's our way or the highway" I'm sure.

Maybe a representation to the US government should be made, pointing out the hypocrisy of demanding taxes from foreign entities. The words
"No taxation without representation" spring to mind :-D
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:31 am

More evidence to suggest that the USA is seeking to go to bat (by way of taxation and duties) for its tech-companies which are being hit by "digital service taxes" around the world: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56565636
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Return to Today's column