Blinkered by knowledge (24 Mar, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Blinkered by knowledge (24 Mar, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:19 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0324.shtml

Can having too much knowledge of a particular subject actually reduce your ability to think "outside the box"?

Does the framework created by all that book-learning and study potentially close your mind to alternative perspectives, solutions and applications?

And is our medical system so overloaded that we could be missing out on the opportunity to identify potentially beneficial treatments simply because doctors are only focused on what their book-learning tells them and tend to dismiss out of hand any alternatives, regardless of whether their patients may be living testimony to the efficacy of such things?

Or has the relentless barrage of worthless snake-oil "alternative medicine" remedies simply created impenetrable skepticism within the ranks of our medial treatement professionals?

I wonder how many very clever and effective (albeit non-mainstream) treatments are being overlooked due to this perspective and how widespread this is.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Blinkered by knowledge (24 Mar, 2021)

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:49 am

100% agree with you on this.
Patient reads research paper, suggests treatment ==> Dr dismisses it out of hand as internet-drivel
Doctor reads same research paper, confirms sources ==> advises patient to follow treatment
I suppose the key thing here is the Dr is going on what they know and have validated themselves, rather than the word of patient re-telling information. If you've only got a 15 minute timeslot to talk to GP and they are not willing to stop & understand that you've done legitimate research rather than a Karen-google, then this will always be the case. Much of that lies in the relationship you have with said Doctor.

Case in point, I had an excellent relationship with my former GP going on decades. Then he retired and new, young Dr took over. New Dr doesn't know my level of expertise and diligence, so I had a "discussion" with him over treatment for a new diagnosis in November after I'd done some thorough research. OK, so I point blank refused the meds he wanted to prescribe, followed my own plan for 3 months, and now have a med-free solution far better than the recommended lifetime course of medication.
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby hagfish » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:05 am

It may also depend on the individual. Some doctors are really keen to try alternative/complementary therapies - particularly if they're not going to interfere with prescription drugs. They're interested in anecdotal evidence and encourage a 'try everything' approach. Maybe it's time for a more open-minded doctor?
hagfish

Postby GCSBIntercepts » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:27 am

Reminds me of Mallard threatening a witness?

Did you know there are literally a pile of OIA requests that have been answered, or ignored, but the subject matter is never on the FYI/Internet?

Simply because they have been classified.

Would you like to know more?
GCSBIntercepts

Postby Kiwiiano » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:18 pm

hagfish wrote:It may also depend on the individual. Some doctors are really keen to try alternative/complementary therapies - particularly if they're not going to interfere with prescription drugs. They're interested in anecdotal evidence and encourage a 'try everything' approach. Maybe it's time for a more open-minded doctor?

I'll second that, Haggy. My mother-in-law and sister had both been going to the same GPs for yonks and for different reasons changed. Both were given a extra special going-over and surprise, surprise both turned out to have problems that explained a lot and which were effectively life-savers when treated. To be fair, both were patients who when asked "How are you?" replied "Oh, fine." Neither of their previous GPs thought to ask "Then why the fuck are you wasting my time?"
~ Kiwiiano
“Nothing will make any sense until you realise that nothing makes any sense!”
Kiwiiano

Return to Today's column