Covid vaccine racism (25 Mar, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Covid vaccine racism (25 Mar, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:14 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0325.shtml

Maori should be strongly criticising Rawiri Waitit, leader of the Maori Party, for suggesting that New Zealand should become more racist and not less.

Mr Waititi seems to think that racism is a great idea, but only so long as he and his fellow Maori are the ones with the special privileges that accompany it.

I'm sorry but that is the ultimate in hypocrisy.

Perhaps Mr Waititi could do his people a much greater service by encouraging them to take better care of themselves so that they weren't overly-represented in the ranks of those suffering from chronic livestyle diseases such as type 2 diabetes. Or is it simpler just to blame your woes on others and play the race card?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Covid vaccine racism (25 Mar, 2021)

Postby hagfish » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:46 am

I suppose this comes down to the difference between 'equal' and 'equitable'. Of course it's racist to suggest that Māori/Pacific Nations people are less likely than Pākeha to be able to work from home, or weather an unexpected two-week break. It's racist to infantilise South Auckland communities by suggesting they "can't be trusted" with Covid. However if your average South Auckland 30-year-old is roughly as decrepit as your average Leafy-Suburbs 50-year-old, it makes sense to put a thumb on the scales.

The Government will subject to shrill condemnation either way, because there's no happily-ever-after option. They've chosen the way that's the best for most people. It's just pragmatism. While we're on the subject of 'waaaah', Māori should probably become eligible for the pension 10 years earlier than Pākeha, too. The current system is unfair. /*closes tab and ducks behind sofa*/
hagfish

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:02 am

"Just because they're Maori"? No.
"Because they're an identified vulnerable sub-group who would otherwise be impacted far more than the average"? Yes . This is more about genetic pre-disposition to Covid and practical steps to counter that.
Like T2 diabetes where Polynesian genetics mean they don't tolerate sugar, or Caucasian genetics where 70% have a gene that triggers age-based insulin-resistance (new research - fascinating & scary), if we can identify and target sub-groups in order it makes sense to. Keeping the curve flat is key.
/* dives behind Haggy's sofa */
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:20 am

That may be true... but race should still not be an issue.

For example, I am very fair-skinned and as such, more vulnerable to getting skin-cancer. Do I simply ignore my greater risk, sunbathe unprotected from harmful UV rays and then demand that white people get priority for treatment because we're more "vulnerable"?

No, I wear a hat, a shirt and lots of sunscreen in the summer so as to manage my increased risk. The result: despite being "vulnerable" for 68 years, I'm still melenoma-free.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby hagfish » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:38 am

aardvark_admin wrote:Do I simply ignore my greater risk, sunbathe unprotected from harmful UV rays and then demand that white people get priority for treatment because we're more "vulnerable"?

White ppl do get priority treatment. You're welcome.
hagfish

Postby Malcolm » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:42 am

The cold hard fact is that for a variety of genetic and socio-economic reasons Maori and Pacific Islanders have been identified as being a high risk group. No amount of crying "but what about whites?" changes that. Do you complain that white people get more skin cancer screening and treatment than darker skinned people? Also in this example the vaccine is a preventative measure to save on the cost of treating a full blown infection/outbreak. Just the same as the old slip, slop slap. To avoid sunburn and melanoma.
Malcolm

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:46 am

hagfish wrote:
aardvark_admin wrote:Do I simply ignore my greater risk, sunbathe unprotected from harmful UV rays and then demand that white people get priority for treatment because we're more "vulnerable"?

White ppl do get priority treatment. You're welcome.

Well they shouldn't -- any more than race should be a factor in the treatment of issues that are the result of behavioural factors more than anything else.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby granada29 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:09 am

I think it's not so much racism as squeaky-wheel syndrome going on here. It seems that a lot of Special Interest Groups (SIG) are claiming priority in Covid-19 vaccination, not just the Maori SIG. Olympic athletes SIG, cricketers SIG, businessmen who must travel for $$$ SIG. I am sure Age Concern (another SIG) would have a word to say if the priority cutoff were to be raised from 65 to 70, and then there's the group I heard quoted on NZR this morning that think 65 should be lowered to 45.

Mostly I just see all this jockying for position in the queue as the kind of pointless argument seen in The Life of Brian about the right of men to have babies.

Personally - I'll take reasonable precautions and wait my turn - whenever that might be.
granada29

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:12 am

granada29 wrote:Personally - I'll take reasonable precautions and wait my turn - whenever that might be.

Ditto... sounds like the most sensible option.

It's called managing risk and that's what *everyone* should be doing.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby goosemoose » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:47 am

Having a fair few relatives who are Maori and who are, whilst not exactly transient, they do move around for work etc. More so than the Pakeha population it seems. Generalisations I know. They never seem to be in one place for more than a couple of years. They don't have a GP as such and I hear from them it's a bit of hoo-ha, not to mention costly to register with the local GP. So they generally don't. Anything that encourages them to have the jab has got to be good, not only for them but the general population as well.

Me, I have to qualms. I'll wait my turn and see what happens. Being a rural dweller, another group that seems to figure a bit in health stats re access to health care etc, it'll be interesting to see what happens.
goosemoose

Next

Return to Today's column