Too much power! (30 Mar, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Too much power! (30 Mar, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:30 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0330.shtml

I think Elon Musk has actually predicted the future with his integration of domestic solar, PowerWall and EV as a synergistic solution to our energy needs.

Are we about to see a move away from centralised energy production towards a more distributed system based on renewables that are located at or close to the point of energy demand (ie: on your house roof)?

As EVs become more commonplace, doesn't make sense to recycle all those older EV packs into domestic power reservoirs that will allow houses to increasingly go "off grid" -- with your EV's battery as a secondary backup?

How far away might this change be?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Too much power! (30 Mar, 2021)

Postby granada29 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:41 am

Somehow this story in the Herald this morning, Battery explosion cause of Wanaka house fire, seems to be relevant.

I think there is still a lot to learn about lithium batteries.
granada29

Postby psycik » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:45 am

I want to know, why like some of the scandinavian countries, we don't tap our geothermal systems and use them for heating (radiators and the like). It'd be great for the Taupo/Turangi Type area. Pity geothermal doesn't seem to be so prevalent down the south island.....it's like free energy.

https://www.geoenergymarketing.com/ener ... ew-sweden/
https://www.rehva.eu/rehva-journal/chap ... -countries

That coupled with Solar panels (or even if they advan ce that solar generating paint...it wouldn't yeild as much, but would still have a lot of benefit.
psycik

Postby Kiwiiano » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:51 am

Trouble is folk who can't afford a PowerWall are probably not in the market for an EV, well, not a new one anyway. They were skiting Europe's top selling Renault Zoe EV on TV yesterday......'only' $66K! As someone who considers $15K top dollar for 4 wheels, yeah, right!

I think the average household hoping to install PV would have to make do with a second heating element in the hot water cylinder, if they make such a thing. Connecting solar panels to the mains gets fraught very quickly.
~ Kiwiiano
“Nothing will make any sense until you realise that nothing makes any sense!”
Kiwiiano

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:52 am

Using the geothermal for heating was quite common in Rotorua but I think it was knocked on the head because it was actually depleting the resource in some areas. I seem to remember a number of domestic geothermal bores being shut down to preserve the level of activity at the tourist areas.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Kiwiiano » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:57 am

psycik wrote:I want to know, why like some of the scandinavian countries, we don't tap our geothermal systems and use them for heating (radiators and the like). It'd be great for the Taupo/Turangi Type area. Pity geothermal doesn't seem to be so prevalent down the south island.....it's like free energy.

There is some geothermal in Christchurch, although very limited. The glass houses at the Ferryman's house at Ferrymead are/were heated from a well that was near the side of the Bridal Path Road. I recall poking my nose in the large concrete tank and catching the wiff of sulphur. Reputedly the water was being heated by the faint remnants of the long-extinct volcano.
~ Kiwiiano
“Nothing will make any sense until you realise that nothing makes any sense!”
Kiwiiano

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:10 am

psycik wrote:I want to know, why like some of the scandinavian countries, we don't tap our geothermal systems and use them for heating (radiators and the like). It'd be great for the Taupo/Turangi Type area.

FYI: https://nzgeothermal.org.nz/nz_geo_fiel ... al-system/
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby psycik » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:30 am

aardvark_admin wrote:
psycik wrote:I want to know, why like some of the scandinavian countries, we don't tap our geothermal systems and use them for heating (radiators and the like). It'd be great for the Taupo/Turangi Type area.

FYI: https://nzgeothermal.org.nz/nz_geo_fiel ... al-system/

Thanks, interesting read.
psycik

Postby GCSBIntercepts » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:54 am

What percentage of NZs present energy production is renewable?

Is this a discussion about nothing?
GCSBIntercepts

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:57 am

From memory, around 85% or more of our energy generation is from renewables.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Today's column