Is this really 2021? (6 Apr, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Is this really 2021? (6 Apr, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:19 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0406.shtml

When we have laws based on religious beliefs and enforce those laws on non-believers it really is hard to believe that we're living in 2021.

Is it time to strike religious holidays from the books and replace them with more relevant ones?

Do we really have the religious freedom (including the right to be an atheist) or not?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Is this really 2021? (6 Apr, 2021)

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:31 am

It's not the 'Religious Freedoms' part, it's the "this is an official holiday and time off work" part that is important and needs to be protected. The poor employee who is made to work - and yes it's optional, but so is keeping your job - is the one that the laws are meant to protect here. It doesn't matter so much that it is aimed to assist those observing Christianity, Islam, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or honouring the sacrifices of the war dead these days. But it is important to allow people to have that time.

The old idea of 8 hours/5 days is sadly long gone with just a few days a year still protected for people who want to have that time off to be with family, in a group, be by themselves, or even do something religious. That's the key thing to remember - people before profits for just a few days a year.
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby paulw » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:38 am

I guess Bruce that because you're retired everyone in retail should now be working 365 days a year with no family time off. Surely people can organize their shopping around Easter and Xmas day ?? If not maybe they should give shopping up.
paulw

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:55 am

I'm a great believer in holidays -- but I think people should still have the choice to work if they want to.

And besides... it was the UNIONs that were claiming the religious significance of these days rather than simply a right to time-off on the part of workers.

Also, despite being "retired", I work 365 days a year.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby JonL » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:55 am

Religion is becoming a concern in Australia, with 14 members of cabinet being members of Pentecostal sects like Hillsong, and imposing their warped beliefs into policy - not in a good way, either......
JonL

Postby Malcolm » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:59 am

The supermarket in Wanaka doesn't need pity, they made a conscious business decision to open as they felt the profit would be higher than the fines for not closing. Although I am suprised they weren't able to get an exemption as usually in the past supermarkets in holiday towns have been granted an exemption. Pity the poor worker who would have been voluntold they are working that day. Sure they could have said no, but it is amazing how often someone in that position suddenly finds they don't get assigned any shifts. Easter, Christmas and Anzac morning are the only days we as a nation get time off so it is fair people want to fight to keep that.
Malcolm

Return to Today's column