Here comes Amazon.com? (19 Apr, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Here comes Amazon.com? (19 Apr, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:56 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0419.shtml

Money can buy you lots of loving but money can't buy you.....?

Is the government's handing over of more than $100m in taxpayers' funds to one of the world's largest corporations in order to promote a business like tourism that has such an uncertain future really a wise thing?

And is the government being incredibly naive to think that just because Amazon is going to make a few episodes of a TV series here, all the other Amazon-branded enterprises will tag along as well?

Do we even want things like a local Amazon warehouse, given the effect this would likely have on many small Kiwi-owned/run retail businesses?

Was this whole thing more about boozy lunches and perks for the boys than what's best for hard-working, long-suffering honest Kiwis at the bottom of the food chain?

Why is it that our politicians are so naive, stupid and self-interested at times? Does this help explain why our cost of living (compared to our global peers) is so high and our standard of living so low?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Here comes Amazon.com? (19 Apr, 2021)

Postby joeseph » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:24 am

aardvark_admin wrote:is the government being incredibly naive to think that just because Amazon is going to make a few episodes of a TV series here, all the other Amazon-branded enterprises will tag along as well?

certainly sounds like it... but then they could always be just lying & hope no-one notices!

Personally I don't mind if reasonable tax-break incentives are handed out to bring business to New Zealand, but there must be some sort of mechanism to ensure it actually happens.
joeseph

Postby phill » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:26 am

Nash said the deal with Amazon was not linked to rumours of a retail distribution centre being set up locally and this was a different part of the business.

"People can go online and buy something from Amazon... I don't think them having a distribution centre here would make any difference to whether people went online or not."

this bit alone tells you how dumb and removed from fact or reality he really is

a local warehouse would make a huge difference to how often it's used by nzer's
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby goosemoose » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:55 am

aardvark_admin wrote:Was this whole thing more about boozy lunches and perks for the boys than what's best for hard-working, long-suffering honest Kiwis at the bottom of the food chain?

Better as slippery, oily slimebag John Key that one. He was the arse licker of all things yank that signed up for this.

joeseph wrote:Personally I don't mind if reasonable tax-break incentives are handed out to bring business to New Zealand, but there must be some sort of mechanism to ensure it actually happens.

Subsidies in other words, an anathema to free market economics. Unless it's not of course. No. Free market operations should not get a penny of taxpayer money. Ever. If NZ's a viable place to start a business then fine, if not then go else where.
goosemoose

Postby paulw » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:32 pm

I guess the naysayers here in NZ have forgotten that this Amazon production gives jobs for 1000 Kiwis .
paulw

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:24 pm

So that's costing taxpayers $100,000 per job for positions that likely pay *much* less than that.

How is that a good deal?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:23 pm

Bruce wrote:Our government has a lot to learn about the way the world works these days and I fear that even when the benches of parliament are fully populated the combined IQ of the entire building barely reaches room temperature.

If I didn't know better, I might've detected an element of surprise in your tone.

No one - not a one! - within a skerrick of 3 digit IQ rating would be found anywhere near Mallard's playground for the intellectually dis-connected and mentally lazy. Or both.
Perry

Postby Perry » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:00 pm

But there are likely enough of the dross voters to get the socio-commie scumbags back in. Or close.

Last edited by Perry on Sat May 01, 2021 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Perry

Postby Perry » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:16 pm

FREE as in "paid for by some other working NZ taxpayer."

Working = 'gummint staff and MPs excluded.'

Bezos and co. did not get where they are without learning how easy it is to dupe feeble-brained woodenheads who think they're in control and know what they're doing.

Perry

Postby aardvark_admin » Sat May 01, 2021 6:59 am

aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Return to Today's column