Hey, that is pretty cool (20 Apr, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Hey, that is pretty cool (20 Apr, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:18 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0420.shtml

We just flew a helicopter on Mars, how cool is that?

Yes, while I could face a very stiff penalty for flying a tiny 20g drone in a park here in New Zealand, NASA has successfully flown a much larger craft 160 million miles away on the surface of Mars.

How sad it is therefore, that the very thing that was instrumental in the development of the tech behind that Mars "drone" is now being squashed by massively over-reaching and unjustified regulation and restriction back here on planet Earth. The Mars heli would not have been possible without the pioneering work done by keen hobbyists who have spent more than a decade designing, refining and testing the very tech that was used on the Mars heli.

Way to go regulators -- killing the innovation that now represents the latest step in our efforts to explore the universe around us.

I despair!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Hey, that is pretty cool (20 Apr, 2021)

Postby joeseph » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:05 pm

Begs the question, given Mars doesn't belong to anyone (on Earth anyway) who gave the approval for the flight?
joeseph

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:28 pm

joeseph wrote:Begs the question, given Mars doesn't belong to anyone (on Earth anyway) who gave the approval for the flight?

I don't think you understand bureaucrats, governments and the USA in particular. They don't NEED approval, they GIVE approval :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:29 pm

no probs
it wasn't illegal
just unlawful

have they just ignored the paperwork .. it's been available on alpha centauri for at least the last 10 years
there is no possible excuse
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:35 pm

Actuall, since the craft was being *operated* from the USA, I have a feeling that the operators (ie: NASA personel) would have been required to have a part 107 certification because they were not flying the drone for recreational purposes. It would be very intruiging to find out if they were compliant with the regulations or whether "it's rules for thee but not for me" again.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:05 pm

stack them up
got them on bvlos as well
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Return to Today's column